Part 11

After a long wedding night Baldwin slowly wakes up with an intense headache tormenting him early in the morning. ''Lady (Y/N)?'' - he asks in a hoarse voice but the queen is nowhere to be seen. Rapidly getting up, the king accidentally nudges something cold left on the blanket. His deep blue eyes widen with dismay at the sight of his taken off silver mask and with a trembling hand he brushes his uncovered face, not willing to accept that his most feared nightmare has just come to fruition. Thereupon he storms out of his bedchamber in search of his wife and keeps asking each one royal servant met in the hallway about her whereabouts until he runs into Tiberias. ''Where's the queen?!''

''My lord, please calm down! I saw her ladies-in-waiting rushing to princess Sybilla's chamber-'' He hasn't finished saying yet when anxious king scurries toward his sister's chambers already crowded at that time.

''Brother?'' Stunned to see her brother running barefoot, Sybilla at once holds him back in the entrance. ''You cannot come in here!''

''I must see my wife!''

''She's being examined right now!''

Taking a step forward, Baldwin with his clenched teeth hisses in rage: ''Someone has poisoned me and the queen.''

''My goodness!'' Sybilla gasps loudly as she covers her mouth with fright. ''This is a treason, isn't it?''

The king has suddenly felt weak in his knees and the moment he loses his balance Tiberias shows up in time to steady him. ''My king! You cannot wander in that state!''

''What's the fuss about?!'' Their little gathering joins seneschal Joscelin III of Edessa, the king's maternal uncle.

Instead of an explanation Baldwin gives him an order: ''Go find the chief royal physician and bring him to my chamber!''

''Yes, my lord.'' The perplexed count deeply bows his head and watching his infuriated nephew hurrying back to his bedchamber, he murmurs under his nose loud enough for the princess to hear: ''Let's pray it won't lead to bloodshed.'' Following the king, Tiberias for one more time looks over his shoulder at lord Joscelin who in response snorts indignantly and promptly walks away since the two of them are none other than fierce political rivals from two opposing factions.

As well the princess with still fresh memories of Tiberias's audacious remonstrance regarding her marriage coldly ignores his dejected glance and haughtily returns to her chamber, where in the midst sits despondent queen clutching the hem of her fresh dress. However, it is lady Agnes who behaves like she's the most miserable here. ''Are you certain she's not pregnant? Maybe it's too early to confirm it?''

The midwife hastily towels off her hands and facing the countess with a frigid peek, dryly answers: ''I've already said it. The improperly mixed drug severely weakened the queen's body and if the king was more gentle with her last night, the causes of enfeeblement would be lesser. The queen will recover in no time, but don't have high hopes. It'd be a miracle from God if King Baldwin did impregnate the queen. So all we can do is to believe in miracles.''

Yet it's not enough to appease lady Agnes now approaching her daughter-in-law. ''Do not lose hope, my dear. Remember that your main duty as a queen is to give birth to an heir and we'll definitely find a way to help you fulfill it.''

Sybilla with a stilted smile grasps her mother's arm to prevent countess Agnes from further vexing lady (Y/N). ''I believe that's enough, mother. Let her have some rest first.'' The queen's crestfallen visage has softened her heart, so she takes a seat by her sister-in-law's side and speaks up consolingly: ''Trust me, my brother won't be mad at you for not getting pregnant. No word would express how grateful he already is for you showing up in his life.'' The queen lifts her twinkling eyes with hopefulness at Sybilla, stirring in her even more sympathy. ''If you wish, you may visit me and my son anytime. I'm sure little Baldwin will get along with his new aunt.''