Chapter 17: Interrogation of Prisoners

TL: Etude

News of the bandits' repulsion quickly spread through Lakeheart Town, prompting residents to flood the streets and gather at the town center square to celebrate.

The next day, Lord Count ordered a victory parade. The troops, organized in companies, formed square formations and marched in unison along the main street towards the square. A temporary review stand was erected at the north end of the square, where Paul, along with Schroeder, Blaise, and other senior military officers, reviewed the troops.

As the troops passed by the review stand from west to east, their formations swiftly changed to a march on command. Each young soldier walked with his head held high and chest puffed out, a mix of pride and solemnity on their faces.

The onlookers gasped in amazement, followed by waves of applause and cheers. The old knight on the review stand nodded in approval. This peculiar marching style indeed imbued an unstoppable aura. The troops' discipline and quality were unmistakably evident, surpassing even what he had seen in his previous service, which couldn't be achieved without prolonged training.

Following the troops, the captured pirates were paraded, receiving not flowers and applause but rotten eggs and spoiled vegetables. The townspeople of Lakeheart had suffered greatly due to the pirates, with farmers and fishermen constantly in fear.

Recognizing the significance of this victory, on the afternoon of the pirates' defeat, Paul and his senior officers hastily devised a temporary system of rewards and compensations, announcing it during the parade:

Those granted temporary military ranks were now made permanent, and based on their performance in the battle, those who sacrificed themselves were awarded first-class merits, those severely wounded received second-class merits, and nearly a hundred others displaying outstanding performance were awarded third-class merits. Material and monetary rewards varied according to the level of merit.

Families of those who were killed or severely injured, losing their ability to work, could receive five Ordo gold coins or an equivalent amount in other currencies from the lord's mansion. For families in the Northwest Bay area, this was a substantial sum.

...

"You damned nobles..." The bearded pirate, hands tied behind his back, was dragged into the hall, struggling and cursing. Two soldiers forcefully pushed him to the ground.

"So, you're the 'great' Quik I, I presume?" Paul looked at the defiant pirate leader with interest. In the previous battle, this big-bearded man had been knocked unconscious by his own retreating men. Just thinking about it brought a sense of deep satisfaction.

"It's 'grandfather'!"

"Make him speak more respectfully."

The slapping sounds echoed in the hall as a soldier struck Quik's cheeks back and forth, rapidly swelling them up.

"You... you..." The pirate leader's curses gradually faded.

"Spill everything you know. How many are you? How much have you stolen? Where are the other pirates?"

"I'd rather die... hiss... than reveal... hiss... a single thing." Quik's face was swollen, making it difficult for him to speak clearly.

"Quite a tough nut, aren't you? Gentlemen, any ideas on how to make him talk?"

The officers brainstormed and suggested various methods of persuasion, turning the hall into a stage for a grim play.

They started with whips and clamps, then moved to the tiger bench, chili water, and water torture, giving Quik a thorough ordeal. What? Still not talking? If force doesn't work, let's try gentler methods. Tickling his armpits, scraping his feet... one by one, these tormenting tactics were used on Quik.