ch-18 (veer)

I parked the car at parking as I reached home, feeling a mix of relief and residual irritation from the encounter with Kavya.

As I entered, Bhavya darted towards me with excitement.

"Bhaiya! Bhaiya!" she exclaimed, wrapping her tiny arms around my arms.

I patted her head, a rare smile forming. "Bhavya. Missed me?"

She nodded vigorously, "Yes, yes! Where were you?"

"Office," I replied.

Bhavya looked up at me with curiosity. "Did you bring anything for me?"

I ruffled her hair, "Not this time, kiddo. Maybe next time."

As I made my way further into the house, Chachu and Chachi greeted me. Chachu, remarked, "Veer, the grumpy workaholic returns. How was your day?"

I sighed, "Same old. Nothing special."

Chachi chimed in, "dinner kuch der me ready ho jayega. Go freshen up."

I headed to my room. I changed into more comfortable attire, the door creaked open, and Bhavya peeked in with wide eyes.

"Bhaiya, can I play with your phone?" she asked innocently.

I chuckled, handing her the phone. "Be careful with it. No mischief."

After a quick freshening up, I made my way to the dining area with bhavya, where the family had gathered.

I took my seat, dad started, "Veer, tu tension me lag raha hai. Kya baat hai?"

I shrugged, "Just a rough day dad. Ignore it."

Chachi placed a plate in front of me, "Khana khalo beta, maybe that'll lighten your mood."

"Hmm," I mumbled, picking at the food on my plate.

"Bhaiya, pta hai, Aahna didi fed street dogs today after shopping. It was so nice!" Bhavya exclaimed.

Chachu added, "Aahna seems to be influencing Bhavya positively."

Chachi smiled, "Aahna is a sweet girl. She brings a different energy every house she goes."

Yes, Aahna indeed is a sunshine, my sunshine. Her presence brings a warmth that I can't deny, even when I try to keep my distance. She's like a ray of light in my world, brightening up even the darkest corners with her infectious positivity.

But sometimes, I can't help but feel a twinge of possessiveness when I see her interacting with others, especially with that carefree smile of hers. It's as if she belongs to me, and the thought of anyone else basking in her radiance makes my blood boil.

Yet, despite my exterior, I find myself drawn to her like a moth to a flame. And as much as I try to resist, there's a part of me that craves her presence, her warmth, her light.

Chachi noticed my distracted state, "Veer, kuch soch rahe ho?"

I shook my head, "Kuch nahi, Chachi. Just tired."

Dad interjected, "Work pressure ka asar hai, Veer. Take it easy."

6Just then, the room fell silent as the phone rang. Maa picked it up.

"Hello? Hanji anita ji! Kaise hain aap?" Maa greeted Aahna's mom.

"Haan, haan, bilkul. Veer bhi yahi hai. Aahna kaisi hai?" She inquired.

Mom listened intently for a moment before her expression shifted to one of surprise. "Aisa? Acha, theek hai, hum abhi baat karte hain, ji ji, hanji okay"

As the call ended, everyone in the room looked at maa with a mix of curiosity and amusement. Mom started, "Veer, guess what Anita ji wants to discuss."

I raised an eyebrow, "What?"

Mom grinned, "She's thinking about finding suitable dates for your and Aahna's wedding!"

"But Aahna's college is starting from tomorrow, and we don't have time for that now," I interjected, my tone more curt than intended.

Chachi chimed in, "Veer, weddings need planning. It's a big step. Don't brush it off like that."

I sighed, trying to keep my irritation in check. "I get it, but let's not rush things. Aahna and I need to focus on our own lives first."

Bhavya, sensing the tension, looked up from her plate with wide eyes. "Bhaiya, shaadi?"

I gave her a reassuring smile, "Not so soon, Bhavya. Don't worry."

Or soon? Maybe!