Chapter fifteen

Blackness and pain. Every part of me is throbbing and on fire. But my head, my brain is ready to leave my skull. I can hear faint beeping sounds. I slowly open my eyes but then quickly close them. It's so bright. The lights irritate my eyes and head. Making it all ten times worse.

  "Mace?" I hear a familiar voice. I force my eyes open, it takes a minute for them to adjust to the light. Fluttering before they fully open.

  I look around and I'm in a hospital room. I tense up and look around. But it's nothing like the other one. This one is clean and not made out of concrete. I relax a little at knowing this.

  I see everyone around me. Is this real or just another allusion? It has to be just another one of Hassan's games.
  "Mace you're ok. You're in the hospital but you're going to be ok." I look over to my right to see Sharon. I try to talk but it comes out mute. My throat feels like it's on fire.

  "The doctors said that your vocal cords are swollen and that it may be hard to talk," Jess says. Everyone has tears in their eyes.

  "I'll go grab the doctor," Felix says, leaving the room.

  "When can we leave?" I ask in a raspy voice. I want to get out of here. I want to go home.

  "Mace, you're injured. We can't leave. Not until you get better," Sharon says.

  If I stay here too long Hassan could find me. Hassan? Shit.

  "Where is General Logan?" I question, trying to sit up. But Jess and Monica just push me back. My ribs and back are on fire. I let out a grunt and go back to my resting state.

"He had to leave. You need to rest. We can't have you hurt yourself anymore," John says. I look to him, remembering what I had told him. He did it. He saved me.

  "Hello Mace. I see you are awake. My name is Dr. Abraham, how are you feeling?" The doctor asks. I just look forward. Not making eye contact with him. I can't. Why would the general just leave? Did he even get Hassan?

  "Mace? Did you hear him?" Felix speaks.

  "I'm fine," I growl.

  "How is your pain?" The Dr. asks again.

  "Fine," I snarl.

  "Mace, manners," Sharon barks. Screw my manners. I've been to hell and back twice now. The last thing on my mind is if I'm being friendly enough or not.

  "She's fine. Now I need you to tell me what happened. Do you remember how you got hurt?" He asks.

  "Do you remember how you got into the situation you were in?"

  I hate doctors and hospitals, and does this fool really think I'm gonna tell him? "That's confidential," I respond.

  "Look, I need to know this. That way I can help you," he states.

  "Like I said, I can't give you that information," I tell him.

  "Look, I know it can be hard to talk about things but you'll have to talk about it one way or another," he explains. I go to touch my dog tags but they are not there. My eyes go wide and I can feel dread wash over me.

  "Where are my tags?" I ask in a panic.

  "Sorry?" The doctor asks, confused.

  "Mace, don't change the subject," Sharon says.

  "He took 'em," I say under my breath. Hassan. He took my dog tags.

  "Who took what?" The doctor asks. "What did you loose?" He adds on.