Chapter 7

She woke to another peaceful morning. She had slept soundly again, thanks to Rio's magical brew. She kicked the blankets off her body and stretched as she sat up.

A knock on the door made her groan in annoyance. She crawled to the edge of the bed, but before she could place a foot on the tiled floor, the door opened, and Alice skipped in. She had a pep in her step and a smile on her face that frightened Annika.

"Good morning, sleepy head. Come on, get up. We need to get going. Rio has a lot to do today. We need to start getting prepared for his show in New York." She pulled the blinds open. Annika hissed as she covered her face, drawing a look of concern from her sister.

"Come on, get up. Rio's waiting. Did you drink again last night?"

"No."

Alice folded her arms, giving Annika a judgmental look that made her look more like their mother than herself.

"Not as much as I usually do. Rio made me some tea. I guess it helps me fall asleep," she said.

"Tea?" She squinted her eyes.

"Yeah, that chamomile thing."

She nodded, her facial expression becoming too unfamiliar to read. It was almost as if she didn't want Rio to share the tea with her.

"You guys are getting along pretty well. It's like he doesn't even remember I exist anymore."

Annika stared at her. For the first time, she began thinking about it.

"What's this New York show about? What's the big fuss?" she asked to be discursive but also because she was curious.

"Well, he's launching his fourth album. So today we're gonna do a photo shoot, and then a meet-and-greet with the fans. After that, there's a little party with a few influential people in the industry. Next week, he's heading to New York for fashion week. Then he's having a major concert for his album launch. It's gonna get pretty crazy. He's gonna be rehearsing and practicing, having meetings, running to photoshoots and interviews, fan signings. It's his job."

Annika nodded.

"Get dressed. We leave in half an hour."

She gave Annika a bright smile and then hurried out of the room, leaving Annika to sift through the questions in her mind.

✵✵✵✵

          She got dressed and hurried outside. There was no time to enjoy how beautiful the house was as she sprinted down the stone steps. There were two black sedan limousines parked outside. She felt like a celebrity herself heading toward these glistening beasts.

          She noticed Oliver leaning against one and joked to herself that she hoped it didn't tip over. She chuckled at the thought as she observed the man from behind a pair of dark sunglasses. When Rio opened the back door of the first car, Annika instinctively began fixing her grey plaid shirt over her black tee shirt. She couldn't understand why this man made her feel so self-aware.

"G'morning," he said with a wave.

He looked stunning enough to make her wonder how anyone could be all dressed up at eight in the morning. His hair and makeup were done expertly, and his designer outfit was put together immaculately. He looked ready for a photo shoot in his black sequined blazer.

"You'll sit with me and Rio," Alice said.

Annika turned her head and smiled at her. It struck her like a lightning bolt. Now she understood how Rio could look so perfect so early in the morning. Alice, the woman responsible for Rio's appearance, looked like a runway model. The heels of her red stilettos clanged on the stone tiles. She looked exquisite in her red jumpsuit. She belonged in this world. She carried herself with such class and poise. Annika smiled, a deep admiration for her sister rising in her chest. She was proud of the life Alice had made for herself.