Chapter 21

"Illegal luck games, animal fighting, you name it," Beinis says, handing me the USB drive. "Our guy here, Shimon Malamud, might have a gambling addiction. This is not the kind of place your run-of-the-mill gambler goes for some cheap adrenaline, this requires at least a few contacts in the underworld."

I stare at the small device, nodding as I take it. "Any involvement with Eve?"

"None," he replies. "But this might be useful to us, you know the lengths a gambler goes for money — especially when the money runs out, we'll have him wrapped around our finger. It's worth checking out."

I shake my head slowly, pocketing the drive before looking at him. "That's too risky, we don't know how loyal he is to her."

"Not very loyal, if he is using her car to attend these places with the risk of not only getting caught by the police, but also lose his job. Plus, he has seen first hand how close you've gotten to the target, when the time comes to dispose of her, we might have to do something about him too."

"Killing him at the same time or before the target is only going to raise more suspicion, even if we make them both accidental... we do have enough intel to get him arrested or in enough trouble for Eve to drop him. It's our safest bet. We'll have to make sure her new driver is one of ours."

He nods. "Easy enough."

I run my fingers through my hair. "I'm meeting up with the target in a bit — talk to Noa, see what she can do about Shimon."

"On it," he mumbles, going back to his computer. "Oh, and Eretz?"

I look over at him.

"Do yourself a favor, and stop messing around with the target. You're supposed to seduce her, take her to bed if necessary, not make her fall in love with you," he says, giving me a conflicting look. Sometimes I forget just how much intel Beinis has on me, his eyes on my every movement, 24/7. "You're playing a dangerous game."

"I know what I'm doing," I reply, heading for the door.

It's cold outside, the air humid as I walk toward the parking lot. The sky is gray and gloomy, a faint smell of rain in the air. I pull my jacket tighter around myself, my breath forming small clouds in front of my face. It's hard to tell where the entrance to her house is from the outside. The glass doors to the apartment complex are closed, and there's no visible bell to be found. I check my watch as I approach the doors — I'm a bit early.

The thought of having to call her to fetch me go away the moment the automatic doors slide open with a hiss, revealing a spacious lobby with marble floors and an elaborate chandelier hanging from the ceiling. There's a man standing behind a reception desk, dressed in a black suit, his posture straight and his expression unreadable. He looks at me as I walk in, raising an eyebrow slightly.

"Good afternoon," I say, approaching the desk. "I'm here to meet Ms. Blau, she's expecting me."

The man nods slowly. "Name?"

"Yael Hanani."

He types something into the computer, his eyes lingering on the screen for a moment, looking back at me as if making sure the physical descriptions matched, before nodding once again — interesting. I follow him as he walks over to one of the elevators, pushing a button that opens a sliding glass door. "She's on the top floor," he says before the doors close.

The elevator ride takes only seconds before it stops smoothly, opening directly into the foyer of the penthouse. I step out of the elevator, looking around. The decor is tasteful, clean, and modern, with a large open-plan living area and kitchen. The furniture is sleek and minimalistic, and the walls are painted in neutral tones.