Chapter 2

"Get off the bus," I said, my voice echoing through the silent cabin. The passengers turned to look at me, and from their expressions, it was clear they weren't thrilled with the idea. Understandable, but it's not like staying put was a safer option.

James, sitting a few seats back, raised an eyebrow. "Getting off the bus? That's a bit risky, don't you think?"

"Yeah, and staying here isn't?" I replied with a dry edge to my voice. My sarcascaim was warranted; these people had to understand that lingering in the stalled bus would lead to one thing—our demise.

Silence fell over the passengers. Did they think we'd be safer inside a stationary bus while those creatures closed in? Did they think the massive guy outside, being used as bait, would hold them off forever?

Now that the bus had nowhere to go, getting off and running for it was the only option left. The Artifact was out there, and every second counted. Unless one of these passengers was secretly part of the Vanguard Corps or a trained fighter, they weren't equipped to handle what was coming.

From what I could tell, none of them could take down a half-starved stray dog, let alone the horrors lurking beyond the doors. And that definitely included me. I mean, who was I kidding? I wasn't a hero—

I'm just trying to survive.

"And what do you plan to do after we get off, mister?" Mina asked, her voice wavering. She looked more scared than the rest, which made sense—she was just a teenager.

"Honestly, I have no idea," I replied with a shrug. "But I'll figure something out."

"That's just naive!" someone shouted from the back. "If we head outside without a plan, we're marching straight to our deaths!"

"And staying here leads to the same outcome," I shot back. "Your argument cuts both ways."

"But staying on the bus at least feels safer!" someone else retorted. I couldn't see who spoke, but their voice cracked with fear.

"Feels safer, yeah," I replied, raising my voice a bit to address everyone. "But if that big guy can't hold off those creatures much longer, then this bus is just a metal box, and we're trapped inside it."

A murmur rippled through the passengers. I could feel the tension thickening, like the air before a storm. People were scared, but I could also sense some anger, frustration, and a hint of rebellion. They wanted a plan, they wanted certainty—but the truth was, there was none.

Mina looked at me, her eyes wide. "What if we just barricade the doors? Wouldn't that buy us some time?"

"It might," I replied, "but it won't stop them. Those things are relentless, and I doubt the bus's flimsy doors will hold for long." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Listen, I know none of this is ideal, but we need to move. If we stay here, we're easy targets."

James cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. "If we leave, where do we go? Do we have a destination, or are we just running blindly?"

I hadn't thought that far ahead. "We'll head toward the tower at the end of the city," I said, improvising. "There are more buildings, more places to hide and chances that we can call for help. We need to split up and find some way to contact help. But whatever we do, we need to be quick and quiet."

The silence in the bus grew heavier as the gravity of our situation set in. People exchanged uneasy glances, and I knew some of them were on the edge of panic.

"It's a risk, I know," I said, softening my tone. "But it's our best shot at survival. If we stick together, we might stand a chance. Trust me, it's better than waiting for those things to tear this bus apart."