Chapter 6

The scripts, the scripts!

Casteel was rushing to his father's throne room, after having heard that he was panicking over insignificant matters. The old man wasn't used to thieves sneaking into his secured palace.

When he reached his father, the doors to his room were opened and guards were standing by the entrance with annoyed looks.

"Leave us," the prince commanded as he stumbled into the throne room.

The royal guards left their current spots, leaving the father and son in the messy throne room.

There were glass shards scattered all over the room, water from the flower pots spilled onto the fine brown carpets.

"Is something the matter, father?" The young prince asked, sweeping his gaze around the room as if it's been rummaged through.

"Oh, Casteel, you're well," the king greeted his son, sounding oddly nice whilst panicking over something else. He immediately clasped his cold sweaty palms together when he caught sight of his son.

The old man said, "Did you happen to meet with the prisoner when he escaped?"

"No," the prince shook his head, "and it's a she."

When Casteel saw something in the old man's eyes, he strolled towards the king calmly. Knowing that his father has something of secrecy going on behind those fearful eyes.

"Father, what happened?" The prince scanned his father's old and crooked body, searching for any possible wound that may have caused him to be this way.

He really does hope that she did not land a touch on his loved ones.

The old man began tilting his head down till the prince couldn't see the sorrow in his eyes. He clutched against his son's arms as his heartbeat accelerated tremendously.

"My papers," the words rolled out of the king's tongue in a panic.

"My papers," he repeated, "They're gone."

The prince's dark green eyes widened, "Yes, yes, I understand, my scripts are gone too."

He felt his father's fingers shaking against his arm, slightly wobbling against the weight of concerns hanging under his delicate heart.

"We'll catch up to that rebel soon. The palace is under control and the guards are stationed at every corner of the walls." The prince attempted to calm his father down but the old man was still incapable of letting the concerns go.

The king shook his head, "No, you don't understand," he said, as if talking about something deeper than what the prince knew, "Those papers are way more valuable than the rarest trophies we have.

"The papers can get our kingdom exterminated by the three other kingdoms."

The prince's heart dropped to his stomach. Hearing the king's confessions as he realizes how he shouldn't have let the girl go.

However bad this had gone, there's no turning back now. He wished that what his father had told him were a muffle of words he didn't need to hear, he wished that those secrets had never existed.

The papers, his father had told him, can bring both the current king and future king down to their knees and be executed.

"I lost my papers as well," the prince stated, "we can use that as an explanation as to why we are after a single rebel."

The king crawled back onto his throne with the prince's help, as if putting a child back into his own crib. Sitting with his eyes closed, he told the prince, "Gather the members of the court as soon as you're ready."