𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

'I like to rescue myself, I am my own self hero'
~ruth b.

"So, what's next for you?". Hameeda asked her sister who was seated on a chair by the island in her kitchen cutting vegetables for the food she was cooking.

"Uh, I think I want to start working". Rahma told her.

"That's good. What do you want to do?". Rahma dropped the knife and kept her elbows on the island, her arms up and her fingers interwined she rested her chin on them.

"I want to work in a restaurant". She said feeling excited at the thought.

"Well, that's good. I'll have somewhere to come to for free food. Have you thought of locations, and other business plans...".

"Ya hameeda, I don't want to open a place. I want to work in a restaurant, someone else's".

"Oh? Talk to daddy. I'm sure he knows someone". Rahma sighed and went back to cutting the vegetables.

"I want to do everything by myself". She told her sister.

"Dadi na da ke Kenan(that's what I like about you) you like the most hardest things abi". Rahma rolled her eyes.

"I just want to be independent. I've looked up some places and I have some pretty good choices with really good positions". Ya hameeda stared at her.

"You didn't expect me to work as a waitress right?". Rahma asked and hameeda shook her head quickly.

"Tell me what places you have in mind".

"There's The box, Red palace, Abuja plate?".

"Those are pretty good... And high places, but I'm sure you'll get one". Rahma smirked and stood up with the finished bowl of chopped veggies and took it to the sink to wash.

"Ya hameeda, you do know I have work experience in a good restaurant in madina on my résumé right".

"Ofcourse, I forgot that. This will be piece of cake for you". Rahma shook her head with a smile.

They continued making dinner while making light conversations, mostly revolving around Rahma's two years in Saudi and hameeda's work.

"Anty Rahma!!!". They heard excited shrieks from the living room.

Hameeda's kids had been in islamiyyah after an hour break from school. They had made Rahma promise she'll be there when they returned. The door bursted open and nafisa came running into the room and went straight for her aunt.

Rahma picked the five year old up in her arms and proceeded to ask her how her lessons went. Hafiz came in right after his sister and also rushed to his aunt.

"When you're going, just take them with you please". Hameeda said and the said people looked at Rahma.

"Can we do that anty Rahma please". Nafisa pleaded making a cute face.

"Ofcourse Fifi, but not today though. I'll come pick you up this weekend?". The girl nodded eagerly and Rahma looked at Hafiz who agreed with the arrangement also.

Hameeda's husband was out of town, so Rahma didn't get to meet him. They had dinner and after Isha, Rahma bid them goodnight, promising the kids she was still going to come get them.

Rahma drove out of ya hameeda's house in her mother's car which she borrowed as she had gifted hers to Hisham two years ago before she left. She made plans in her head how she was going to submit her résumé to the restaurants this night and await their reply with hope, she had a feeling she was going to get it in atleast one of them.