The Party

Zia looked down at Violet and raised her eyebrows. Violet's gown fit snugly over her curves, dark green silks wound and twisted into a long train. In black boots she was almost as tall as Zia. Her purple hair was silky and voluminous. Hanging on every few curls, jewels of green and black twinkled as she looked at Zia and smiled. The effect was breathtaking.

"You look insanely pretty." Zia kissed Violet's hands as she paid the compliment.

The orchestra could be heard from the elevator taking Violet and Zia to the Grand Hall, where the festivities had already begun.

"Thank you, you're sweet. You look...I don't have words for how beautiful you are." Violet flirted as the elevator doors chimed open.

Zia stepped out first in a fitted suit made of black lace. A hint of red touched Zia's naturally full lips and her short curled hair was parted far to the side.

They found the entrance to the Grand Hall. Arm in arm, Zia led Violet down a wide black marble staircase. An orchestra was backed by an electronic band. Bubbly potions were toasted, food of every color and taste lined the spacious room. Dancing and singing in a frenzy, Confero's residents were laughing and calling out to one another over the music. Lights winked at the glass ceiling above, casting the patrons in every color.

At the bottom of the stairs, Zia gasped as a tall man with white whiskers in a beautiful mint suit walked up and extended both hands to the girls. They rushed in to hug him.

"Mr. Hubert, where have you been?" Zia had tears of relief in her eyes. Violet felt something...off about him.

"Apparently, girls, I had a dreadful case of Space Sickness. The last thing I remember before waking up in the Healing Terminal was floating into the ship with you. The Healers fixed me up, though. I feel brand new. From what I hear, you both have been busy." His whiskers were trimmed and his white hair laid smoothly. His foot tapped along to the music.

"We were seriously worried about you, Mr. Hubert!" Violet blurted. She began to search his feelings, catching hints of tenderness and maybe...sadness. Violet hoped she was wrong about the sadness.

"That warms my heart to hear! I have a favor to ask of you, sweet Violet." He gave his best smile.

"Sure, what is it?" Violet's hands rested on her hips.

"Would you mind terribly if I had a word with Zia alone. I believe Ann the Curator wanted to speak with you." He pointed to the tables filled with refreshments.

" Z, I will see you in a bit...," Violet leaned in and whispered, "figure out what his deal is, something is wrong." She grabbed Zia's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Okay, but be careful, I don't want to lose you in all of these people." Zia gave Violet a kiss on the cheek before she walked away.

--

Violet saw Ann by the Fizzy Drinks table and shouldered through the crowds to reach her.

"Want something to drink, Violet? And where is Zia?" Ann stood with a hand on her hip.

"She needed to talk to Mr. Hubert. Being around all of these people makes crazy. Too much noise, and things to see and feel and...I don't know. My new abilities are tough to handle." Violet shuffled from foot to foot.

"Here you go," Ann passed Violet a purple Fizz that smelled like lavender and blueberry, " I know It must be hard developing your abilities at such an age. I feel for you, but I know you will be one of the most powerful beings in existence, so stay strong."

"Oh, I doubt that! Can you tell me more about where we are going? What Vitruvius is like now?" Violet took a sip of her drink and giggled. It was sweet, fruity, and literally tickled the roof of her mouth. She had never tasted anything like it. She made a mental note to have a case sent to her room later.