QUESTION

AIDEN CARRIES ME UPSTAIRS, into his bedroom. The clock on his desk says it’s almost eight, and for some reason I’m exhausted.

“Aiden, I’m tired,” I say.

“You just woke up,” he says as he sets me down on his bed, walks toward the other side, and lies next to me. I pout.

“Being unconscious and being asleep are two different things.”

“Emma, you have to stay awake… Just try not to think so much about sleeping.”

I groan, stare at the ceiling. Aiden’s silent, and I feel him turn over, turn the lamp on. I start closing my eyes. Maybe he won’t…

“Emma,” he says, “wake up.” I grunt loudly, sit up too quickly. My head spins, throbbing making my eyes water. Aiden rubs my back.

“Ok, Emma,” he says, “We’ll do whatever you want so you can stay awake, okay?”

“Well, that’s funny because I want to go to sleep.”

He laughs, pulls in front of me. I stare at him. “It’s not funny,” I continue.

“I know. That’s not why I’m laughing…” he hesitates, stares at the wall. It takes him a moment before he says anything. “We could play a game.”

“Haha that sounds lame.”

“Yeah, but it’s better than sleeping.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, the reason is obvious, so I don’t really have to tell you.”

I roll my eyes as he shifts uncomfortably. “Fine. What game are we playing?”

“Twenty questions.”

“Oh, hell no!”

“Okay, you think of something else.”

I scowl. My head hurts too much to think about something that barely matters. “Go on.”

“Okay. Capitol of Idaho?”

My eyes drift. “Don’t care.”

He glares at me. “For real?”

“Boise.”

“Ok, your turn.”

I roll my eyes again, rest my head in my hand. “Why are you asking me stupid questions?”

“Because I don’t want you to fall into a coma.” He lifts my head, pushes my hair away from my eyes. “Next question?”

“Ask me something serious because I’m already bored.”

“You want serious?”

“Yes.”

He looks at my wrist, and the question is in his eyes, slightly pained, yet it seems like he’s trying to accept it.

“Where’s the bracelet I gave you?” he asks as he looks back up at me. My throat tenses, and now I’m definitely awake. I can’t really think of a good answer, so my eyes wander… and I notice his wrist.

“Where’s the one I gave you?” I ask him, folding my arms. He’s silent, frozen as his eyes challenge me. I start to think the bracelet’s gone, trashed. But he stands up and walks toward his dresser, opening one of the drawers. My stomach drops as he walks back, hands a small box to me.

“Now,” he says, “Answer my question.”

My eyes narrow as I open the box, the same red leather bracelet I bought for him after we…