Chapter 24

Abby felt something tickling her back and she squirmed

Abby felt something tickling her back and she squirmed. She groaned into the pillow her head was resting on. The rain outside matched the steady tempo of her now calm heart. She felt Alex's arm encircle her waist and she blushed. The alarm clock on his nightstand indicated a few hours had passed since they had come in from the rain.

"Are you awake?" She felt his breath dance against her spine when he whispered his question.

"I am now, Mr. Carter."

"Mr. Carter?" Alex repeated. She could hear the laughter in his voice. "I think we're a little past that at this point, don't you think? You should just call me Alex."

She nodded in the dark.

"Are you regretting what happened?" he asked, still not moving away from her.

"Are you?"

"No."

His answer was quick which somehow relaxed her.

"This is weird," she answered.

"What's weird?"

"This. Us. I thought you said I wasn't your type," Abby reminded him.

"You're not."

She felt herself stiffening to his response, causing him to chuckle. He sat up and leaned over her to kiss her forehead. "That wasn't an insult."

Abby pulled the blanket up to her chin. "I know that tonight doesn't change anything between us."

"You do?"

Abby nodded.

"Interesting. What else do you know?"

"I know that both of us were stressed and feeling emotional which sometimes requires a physical release."

"And you were that release?" Alex asked.

"We both were. You were stressed about your biological parents. I was stressed about Bryce. It's natural that we--"

"Whoa...whoa there." Alex placed two fingers over her lips. "Let me tell you that when you're in bed with me, you shouldn't talk about other men. I don't care if they're dead or alive. No one is here except you and me and I want it to stay that way."

"That sounds like you're being possessive."

"Does it?" Alex rubbed his chin, looking thoughtful. He shrugged.

Abby cleared her throat and sat up. "Still, all we have is a working relationship. What happened earlier can't change that."

"Why is that?" Alex asked as he pressed his lips to her neck.

"Because I need my job and it'll be weird if we have a meaningless fling. I know you're some kind of playboy and that's why those reporters want to catch a picture of you with a woman you're in an actual relationship with. Them catching you with a girlfriend is like catching a unicorn."