A Solution

He woke up at 5am due to the sun in his face. He groaned and stretched his wings but his left hit something. He turned to find Lauren sound asleep, memories of last night came rushing before him. He took one last look at her and tried to get up but was stopped when something tugged at his arm. Lauren was clutching onto him like her life depended on it.

He smiled and laid back down a feeling of happiness spread through him as she mumbles his name. Wait...stone devils don't get emotions...so what was happening to him?

Her large yawn disturbed his thoughts and she faced him with a slight smile and whispered, "Morning" he whispered back, "God morning"

"Why are you whispering?" She asked, "I don't know" he answered in a normal but soft voice.

They laid there for about ten minutes but when her stomach grumbles they laughed and got up.

He made breakfast silently while she sat on a stool watching him with a curious look when he made a noise. He was hungry but not for the 'normal' food his kind ate, but for human food. He was frightened.

"What was that?" She asked.

He made the noise again, but not of his hunger but of his fear. Fear of what is conning to him and how Lauren will react. "Tell me" she softly spoke.

He didn't know whether to tell her or not, but he spoke anyway, like if she didn't like him then it doesn't matter. "Can I tell you something crazy?"

"Sure" she sounded unsure, "This morning when I got up I felt happy like I had...emotions and just now I'm hungry for human food..." he spoke and gave her a minute to process this. "What is wrong with me?" He spoke mostly to himself.

"You said that the experiments haven't been working and maybe you are changing!" She got excited at the end. "But I haven't been experimented on" he spoke confused.

"When did this start to...develop?" She asked curious and hungry for an answer. "About the time when I met you" then it dawned on him. He made a face as he realized the solution.

Scared she asked, "What? Oh my gosh what? Tell me!"

"I'm changing because of you..."

She gasped and turned away for a fear she knew had set in. He liked her back! But she knew it wouldn't work out until he is human...wait...until he is human..."Kiss me" she turned around and demanded. If this worked he may change more.

He looked at her with confusion but slowly grabbed her chin, and softly pressed their lips together. They were in sync but after five seconds a searing pain shot up his chest and through his body.

His stone wings shed, like snake skin and turned into real features. His clothes that were once made of soft stone turned into soft material. His once long teeth and nails dulled and were no longer rock. His eyes grew color, a beautiful blue you could only find in the sea.

They both gasped and she had to observe him. As she did this, his heavy breathing slowed and he had to observe himself. "Wait!" She yelled and dashed to the bathroom grabbing a hand mirror and shoved it in his hand. He had never seen himself in a mirror before, when he was fully stone because the mirror would break at his sight. He was frightened and quickly glanced to the mirror but had to look again.

He was speechless and in awe. How could he be so handsome yet beautiful? "Your not so bad now, in fact your kinda cute" she whispered but he herd it and slightly smiled.

"So then what is the solution?" He asked still watching his reflection. "The solution is..." she was almost scared to say it, "love."

He looked up at her smiling face and at that moment they knew they were both in love with...the idea of loving the other? Or more?

——
Merry late Christmas! And a Happy New Year!
Q: What is your new year resolution?