10. | nothing but darkness

''Mary, you can give her the second and final dose of morphine in fifteen minutes

''Mary, you can give her the second and final dose of morphine in fifteen minutes. She needs more for the pain before she wakes up, which might be anytime now.'' I hear an unfamiliar female voice softly mutter, followed by different footsteps and the sound of a door opening. ''Visiting time will be over in ten minutes sir.''

''Alright,'' A male voice says, ''Thanks for everything, dr. Brown. I'm assuming she'll recover quickly?''

My father.

''She's okay for now. She has lost a lot of blood both before and during the surgery, but she's lucky that we found a blood donor with the same blood type right away. Your daughter is very lucky. None of her fatal organs gave up, her liver just got slightly grazed, but she will recover. However, she's still very weak and will have to stay here for about a week and a half, at least.'' The woman announces and exits the room afterwards.

''Brooklyn,'' My father begins and I can sense how close he is by the volume of his voice in my right ear.

I want to open my eyes and speak, but I can't. ''This was never going to happen if I'd let you do your internship somewhere else.'' He mutters and rubs the back of my hand.

''I took care of the situation. He will get punished for what he did to you. I will do everything in my power to get this added to his still ongoing case. He doesn't know what he has got coming.'' He audibly inhales sharply to continue. ''You should've never trusted him in the first place.''

Confusion taunts my mind as I try to open my eyes or speak up. I end up not being able to either of those. I try to move my fingers, but the feeling of complete numbness is slowly washing over me, making it an even harder task.

''He's a dangerous young man. I should have predicted he'd try to do such thing to you. I should have seen it coming. Especially because he knows you're my daughter. I knew it.'' He continues muttering even more incoherent words under his breath, but it becomes inaudible to me as my thoughts get caught in a whirlpool of puzzlement and sleepiness.

I can merely feel the touch of a few tears rolling down my cheek while heaviness spills all over my body and finally my mind, stopping me from my thoughts as I drift off into what seems like a never-ending state of deep sleep.

▀▀▀▀

"How about you listen to me or I'll hurt and scar this little crush of yours." Michael hisses, continuing to push the metal object harshly onto the skin of my bare stomach underneath my shirt.

"Michael, " Ethan hisses as he grabs his wrist, "You do not want to do this, trust me. "

This angers an already pissed off Michael more and I bite harshly into my lower lip, the iron-like flavor of my blood taking over my mouth.

''Back the fuck off.'' Michael snarls back and pushes the object even deeper. I can feel a few drops of blood running down my skin and squint my eyes at this point.