Chapter 2

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
~Aristotle

My aunt Della comes to watch Ash tonight so I can go to work. I work at a nice bar here in Guntersville, Alabama. It pays five dollars above minimum wage and then there is tips. I get dressed in my work attire which consists of black shorts, white shirt with the business logo on it, and tennis shoes. I pull my honey-blonde hair into a ponytail before I leave. "Thanks for watching her Aunt Della." I say to my mom's twin sister. Ash is sitting at the kitchen table doing homework.

"I love watching her, Tatiana." My aunt replies. "I don't mind helping you out at all."

"I still thank you." I give her a quick hug.

"You're welcome." She says returning the hug.

For a Monday night, it is unusually busy. I don't mind it at al because it means more tips. My brother, Ryder, and his best friend, Trevor, walk in at around eight-thirty. They are co-owners of my family's business. Together they make a lot of money. They sit at one of the tables in my section. "Hey!" I say with a smile when I reach their table.

"Hey, Tatiana." Trevor says, returning the smile.

"Hey." My brother says.

"I assume you both want the usual?"

"Yeah." They say in unison. I grab them both their beers and bring them to their table.

"How was Ash's first day of school?" Ryder asks when I bring him his beer.

"From what she told me, it was great." I reply.

"That's good." He says. "Do you want Claire and I to watch her tomorrow night since you have the late shift?" My brother offers.

"That would be great." I say. "Thanks."

My brother and Trevor are still there at the end of my shift at nine-thirty. They walk me out to my car. "Goodnight, Tatiana." Ryder says giving me a hug before walking to his truck to head home. Now it is just me and Trevor.

Trevor is gorgeous. He has dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes. He has tanned skin and he has muscles too. He is tall which is a bonus. A lot of girls want him and I don't blame them. Not only is he undeniably hot, he has an amazing personality. He is smart, charming, sweet, funny, and gentlemanly. He was there for me six years ago on the night Chad did what he did. I will never forget that.

"So, Tatiana, are you free Saturday night?" He asks. His hands are in his jean pockets and he looks vulnerable. Wait, did he just ask me out?

"Yeah. I'm free." I reply. "What for?" I ask.

"I was hoping that you might want to go out for dinner with me." He says.

"Like a date?" I ask for clarification.

"Yeah. Like a date." He replies. "I mean only if you want to. It can be a friend thing if that makes you feel better. It's just...yeah." He rambles. I can't help but smile at this.

"Okay." I say.

"Wait. Yes?"

"Yes." I reply. A grin spreads across his face. I can't help but smile back.

I head home. Ash is already in bed by the time I get there. Aunt Della is watching TV in the living room. It looks to be the nightly news. "How did tonight go?" I ask.

"It went by smoothly." She replies. "Ash did ask about her father though."

"Oh?"

"Tatiana, you can't keep avoiding that topic with her. What are you planning on telling her?"

"I honestly don't know. While she is young, I have to lie to her. When she is older, she should know the truth on what happened that night."

"Okay." My aunt says. "She is going to ask you and you need to have a prepared answer."

"I know." I say. "Thank you for watching her tonight."

"You're welcome, Tatiana." She says giving me a hug. "Did anything exciting happen tonight?" I swear she knows exactly what happened.

"Well, Trevor asked me on a date." I reply.

"About damn time! That boy has been pinning after you for years."

"He has?"

"Oh yes. Finally he has asked you out. I have been waiting, well everyone has, for this moment." She glances at her watch. "Well, honey, I should get going."

"Goodnight Aunt Della." I say.

"Goodnight." She says before she leaves.

I change out of my work clothes and into some pajamas. I make sure to set the alarm clock because I don't want a repeat of this morning. I crawl into bed and I'm asleep within seconds.

Instagram: theoriginal_three