Chapter 35

This time, Alex's attempt to get the man's attention had worked. Thor stopped typing, looked up from his phone, and laid it down next to him. Alex knew the Massino family name. Though they hadn't been an active crime family in years, the pieces in Alex's head were coming together quickly. This guy had probably hired the shooters. He was probably here to finish the job. And he was behind all of this. How had a crime boss managed to take over one of the world's biggest startups? He needed to find Luna before it was too late. This was not a man Alex wanted to spend too much time around.

"I'm sorry, what was your name again?"

"Alex."

"Look, Alex. I'm sorry that your boyfriend, got hurt. And I'm sorry that things didn't work out for him at Ancien. But calling me an asshole is uncalled for."

"I'm sorry, you're right. I'm just so–" Alex was not a man who was quick to cry. But he knew a trick actors used: remember the mindset you were in last time you did cry. It took only took Alex a moment to summon a believable layer of salty liquid.

Thor rolled his eyes.

"I get it. This is difficult for everyone. I know it may be hard for you to believe, but I'm one of the good guys. I just came by to make sure Phillip is okay."

Alex choked on his own saliva.

"You all right?" Thor asked.

Alex nodded, pretending to try to compose himself.

They sat in silence for a while. Thor dove back into his BlackBerry and Alex pretended to read his Women's Health magazine. In reality, Alex was thinking through scenarios for whatever came next. He couldn't let Thor get into that room alone. Alex considered talking to the cops outside the room, alerting them to the situation. But that would raise a lot of questions he didn't want to answer. So far, all he had was a hunch. An unfounded accusation.

Then someone else came into the waiting room. It was a cop Alex hadn't seen before.

"Is one of you Thor Massino?" he asked.

Thor stood up. "I am."

Alex's blood ran hot, but he stared at the magazine with more fervor than ever.

The cop eyed him.

"One of my men tells me you want to see Mr. Jones?"

"Yes, I'm his boss. I just want to make sure he's okay."

"Look, the guy's in a coma. There's nothing to see here. Give me your number, and I'll make sure to call you as soon as he wakes up."

Out of the corner of his eye, Alex could see Thor trying to decide how hard to push it with this guy.

"Fine."

The cop handed him a pad of paper and a pen. Thor scribbled his phone number quickly. In that very moment, Alex's plan finally came together. He knew exactly what he needed to do.