Part 4

Chapter 10

August 20th, 2012

1145 hours

The workers of 1201 Glades Avenue stared up in disbelief as smoke poured out of the third story window. Fires danced through the windows. It was utterly silent for what could have been days. Then one scream broke the calm. Murmurs of “I thought this was a drill” and “What the hell just happened” raced through the crowd like wildfire.

The security guard was in a state of shock. He just stared, open mouthed at the burning building. Was the man that had warned him still inside when it went off? He didn’t see him around. No, he must have still been inside. He gave his life to warn them. That man wouldn’t go unrecognized. He would make sure of that. And then the building came tumbling down.

Chapter 11

August 20th, 2012

2310 hours

An excerpt from the blog “True Story Bro”:

He Saved My Life

By Steven Lynch

August 20th, 2012 at 11:05 PM

A man walked into my building today. He risked his life to warn me of an attack. A terrorist attack. Not by an enemy we know, but an enemy we don’t. He said they threatened his family. He said that they forced him to take a bag into our building, and he warned us. He  saved the lives of everyone in the building. Mine. Every worker. Every person. I wish I had gotten the chance to thank him. I wish I could have traded with him. He had a family for Christ’s sake. What bastard would do this to a man? A man this noble. A man who would so willingly give his life to help complete strangers. I hope the person that forced this upon him reads this. I hope he knows, that he is WORTHLESS. He is a coward. He is nothing. Nothing but a smudge of the human spirit. One that should be stomped out. I hope he burns in hell. I hope he disappears from the face of the earth. I hope he never gets the chance to do this to someone again.

            “Sir,” A nervous private ran up to Major Turnbull. “You’re not going to like this.”

            Major Turnbull snatched the report out of the private’s hand. It was an excerpt from a blog called “True Story Bro”. Turnbull finished reading it, and then crumpled it in his hand. He noticed the private trying to walk out of the room unnoticed. He pulled his sidearm, and fired. A blood red hole appearing in the back of the private’s head. Brain matter sprayed across his wall. A lieutenant scurried into the room, and stood, shocked.

            “Lieutenant! Get a cleaning crew and one of those techies in here.”

            “Y-yessir.”

            Ten minutes passed, and a janitor was busy scrubbing the wall, the body already gone to be disposed of elsewhere. A young man strode into the room, looking very nervous, and very young.

            “Lieutenant! Is there anyone more… experienced?”

            “Sir, he’s the most qualified person here. He was arrested last hear for hacking NORAD. We switched him.”