Chapter 1 Bleeding heart

John squeezed his eyes shut. It was too hard to watch his sister sing their whimpering children to sleep. The hunger pangs in his own stomach outweighed the phantom itch he always felt in his missing feet when the urge to jump up and DO something about their situation became too strong.

"I'm so sorry, son." His father's hand landed heavily on his shoulder. "I wish I were younger."

John knew it wasn't his fault that he'd lost the job that had kept their little family afloat, but it was hard to keep the anger from bubbling out of him. Was it fair that old men weren't needed anymore? No! Was it his fault that he lost his legs in a car crash? Maybe he should have died back then. At least he wouldn't have to watch his sister and their kids starve to death then.

The hands of John's mother swelled from washing the clothes of their rich neighborhood at the other side which a high palisade divided the two realities. He could no longer bear the pain of seeing his family suffering. "I should do something." The atomic sound of his tummy could be heard even the nearest person beside him because of hunger. There was indeed war inside his belly. He didn't eat yet his breakfast and lunch. He sacrificed his part for his two sublings. The food was honestly could not suffice for the entire family.

John's heart bleeded when had seen his family starving. His father could no longer work. In his mind while gazing far away out in their shanty, towards the smoky mountains, he promised to himself, "I should take the full responsibility towards the survival of my family even if I have amputated limbs." Then, his deep thoughts were obstructed when his nephew cried. "Don't cry baby, mommy is here," his sister consoled his son. He knew that his nephew was still hungry. The husband of his sister, Roger, was still out trying to find money for the milk. Breastfeeding was not enough for the baby. He kept on looking for supplement. My sister's nourishment was another problem. Most of the time, she just eat dried fish. She lacked the necessary nutrients to sustain his child's basic nutrients.

John stood up and went outside. Walking along the bay of garbage, he saw his friend. He immediately grabbed the hand of his friend while he was about to jump into the jeepney. "Wait! Oca, I have something to tell you." Oca almost fell on the ground when he was grabbed by John at his arm. He almost punched John, but when he saw it was John, he calmed himself. "What do you want, John?"

"I want a job?"

"Why do you ask me that? You should go there in the companies. Remember! I am just a car watcher."

"Exactly! I want to work as a car watcher. Just give me slot in the parking lot. I badly needed it."

Oca paused a moment while brushing off his beard. "Ok! Just go there in the parking lot tomorrow morning." Then, he jumped in immediately in the jeepney while it was running. John was unable to thank him.