Chapter 50

Taureen held up a large object, and I blinked in confusion as I asked, "What is that?" It looked like a cross between a dog snare pole and a butterfly net made of some odd brown material.

Taureen made a face as he folded it up into something the size of his fist. "The officer overseeing the guards wanted a safeguard in place in case I ever get knocked out cold and need medical attention. This is a special net to allow someone to catch you if I need help and you don't let them near me."

I narrowed my eyes at the evil object. "A net? I guess I can see your point though. I wasn't exactly thinking straight the last time you got hurt. Please tell me that not just anyone can get their hands on that thing."

Taureen shook his head. "No. Only Tran and Vick have permission to use it since they have been assigned as my partners ever since we started doing patrols. If you don't want to get netted, simply keep out of their reach. They will stay near you while the medical team helps me. If they must take me to the hospital, they will call Aeria to come get you."

I shook myself hard, earning the tinkling noise from my scales. "I don't like the thought of being netted, so I will probably remain out of their reach, but I can see the logic of such a backup plan. I assume that material is fireproof?"

He nodded. "Yes. Tran and Vick are also getting slightly different armor made from materials that are fireproof."

"That is good for them then. If I am that upset, I will probably resort to flame."

He nodded again without surprise. "They had assumed that after the last incident. On a side note, we are meeting Aeria's family tonight."

I blinked at the sudden topic change. "I have heard a few rumors while in the park of some fathers going a bit overboard in the 'haze the boyfriend' department. I doubt I will react any differently to them than to any other strange Kymari, so don't be surprised if they get too close and I growl at them."

"I had assumed that, and they will be expecting such a reaction from any fire lizard or bond animal."

Good, at least he doesn't expect me to treat every Kymari as if they were my best friend. I still had to put a conscious effort in with Aeria, but it was getting easier over time.

       Taureen rang the doorbell, and it was opened by a Kymari male who must have been Aeria's father. He eyed up Taureen before he was distracted by my presence. He stepped back. "Come in."

His demeanor was grudging and not quite welcoming, but from what Taureen said, that was to be expected at this point. I looked around the house as Taureen followed him into the living room. This house was set up much differently than any home I had seen before.

It seemed more formal, as if it was often on show. It didn't have the easy and carefree air that graced the small apartments of Taureen's friends, nor was it anything close to the home Taureen had bought, which was much more open and designed with me in mind.

This place could almost double as a labyrinth. If anyone tried to lay siege to this home, I bet that they would get a rude awakening. Weapons and armor were visible in various locations, showing that the man was a seasoned fighter. I hope Taureen knows what he is getting into.

We entered a small living room with half a dozen chairs surrounding a low coffee table. Aeria, her mother, and another male, who I assumed was her brother, were present and standing while awaiting our arrival.

The mother came forward. "So you are Taureen. We have heard about you."

Taureen inclined his head. "I hope that it was positive."