Chapter 25

Chapter 25
• • •

        The next morning, I woke up in a blur. Everything that had happened the previous night was all coming back to me at once. I couldn't help but feel like something bad was brewing. It felt as if something was happening as I was thinking about it, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

I threw on a sweatshirt, pulled my hair up in a messy bun, and applied minimal makeup.

When I got to school, I noticed that the spot next to Scarlett's was occupied by Savanah's car.

In first period, Scarlett was quiet and sympathetic, which was a drastic change from her usual, chatty self.

The day dragged on in a long, continuous cycle that seemed like it was a treadmill set on its lowest setting.

When lunch finally came around, I found myself dreading the one thing that usually kept me going throughout the day. For the first time, I didn't want to go to lunch.

I hoped that I could just keep the topic of conversation on being concerned for Savanah, not me.

When I sat down, everyone looked up at me. I sat down and brushed it off like it was a normal greeting.

"So how's life?" I asked everyone casually.

"Meh.." Kevin mumbled as he picked at his sandwich. "Oh who am I kidding... it's great!! I mean- we don't have to worry about George anymore, and my pa-"

"Wait... what do you mean 'don't have to worry about George anymore'?" I cut him off. I saw Ashton shot him a glare and look at him as if he was the dumbest thing to ever walk the Earth.

"What the hell did you not understand about not saying anything about it?!" Ashton softly- yet intensely- yelled at Kevin, who got all defensive.

"Can someone just tell me what the fuck he's talking about??" Annoyance began to creep through my veins.

The table was silent. Every pair of eyes simultaneously landed on Ashton, but he was too busy threatening Kevin with an intense glare to notice.

I looked expectantly at Ashton's face. He eventually met my gaze.

"Why is everyone looking at you?" I asked.

"They're not," he replied. I looked around the table and so did he. He sighed and a look of astonishment flashed across his face.

"You guys are literally the dumbest people I have ever met," he mumbled and looked back to me.

"Outside. Now." I stated firmly and he looked a bit taken back. I got up and he followed me, making sure that I knew how much he didn't want to.

When we got outside of the cafeteria, I turned to face him. I've never seen someone look so annoyed in my entire life.

"Why do I have a feeling that you did something that you don't want me to know about?" I asked.

"Because you're delusional."

I went to shove him on the chest, but he caught my wrists before I could do so, giving me a warning look. I just tried to shoved him anyway, and he gave me a slightly incredulous look, seemingly holding back laughter.

"I'm not going to let this go. So just make it easier on everyone and tell me now instead of later," I said and he sighed. He seemed to be weighing his options carefully.

"If I tell you, I need you to not freak out,"

"No promises." After a long pause, he finally began his explanation.