Chapter 29

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" The chief's voice rose and directed blame to Madison. "You'd think we were running a damned circus down here."

"We tried to stop him," Terry said.

"Well, apparently there's quite a difference between trying and succeeding." His beady eyes grazed over Terry and fixed on Madison. He directed a wagging finger toward her. "Make sure with the case, it's a matter of succeeding. Here." He pressed the photo into Madison's hand and walked away.

She tightened her fist, crumpling the photo into a ball. She could cut that man's finger off and not feel any remorse.

"What the hell was that?" Sergeant Winston asked. He trailed well behind the chief.

Felt like déjà vu with another ass-ripping session about to commence.

Madison held up her hand. "It's all right, we've got things under control."

"Based on what I just saw, I'd disagree with that." He now fell silent.

Was he trying to manipulate her into feeling guilty by silence and steadfast eye contact? She was too stubborn and he should know that by now. "Listen, we tried—"

"Do. Don't try." He glanced at his watch. "I've got something to take care of."

No doubt a glass or two of his favorite drink and a spot on his sofa in front of his large TV watching NASCAR.

They turned their attention to Richards. He was braced over the body, his lips moving in silent calculation as he factored in all the elements to gauge an estimated TOD. If he failed to accurately pinpoint it, the killer could get off. He could be afforded an alibi that might not have been in place otherwise.

When he felt Madison watching him, Richards rose.

"Based on the temperature of her body, factoring in the air temperature, and current humidity, as well as the slight evidence of rigor mortis..." He stopped talking. He must have picked up on her confusion over his last comment. "It was starting a bit in her hands. Takes longer to start in warmer temperatures."

She nodded.

"I'd estimate time of death between five and eight this morning. And before you ask, I would definitely conclude COD is asphyxiation due to strangulation, as evidenced by the petechial hemorrhaging and the necktie bound tightly around her neck."

"Was she restrained at all?"

"There is no evidence of that."

"Detectives."

They turned to see Officer Tendum hurrying toward them. "I saw this man before."

"Excuse me."

"The guy in the photo. The BOLO. He was rougher looking, though. At least a day's facial growth."

Madison felt anger heat her earlobes. "Where?"

"Just down the street from Laura Saunders' house."

"You saw him and you did nothing?"

"I didn't know—"

"You let him get away. It's your fault we've got another vic—"

Terry reached out to her. "Maddy." She wasn't inclined to accept coddling.

"What was he doing?"

"I don't...I don't know."

She let out a rush of air, raised her hands to the sky. "What do you mean you don't know?"

"He was parked down the street, smoking a cigarette in his car."

"You don't know what his purpose was in that neighborhood?" The young officer shook his head. Madison continued. "I'll tell you what it was. To watch Stiles PD make a complete joke of themselves." She couldn't look at him anymore. "Terry, we've gotta go."

She noticed him give a consoling look to the young officer, and it angered her more. "What the hell do you—"

"Maybe you can talk to a rookie like that, but not to me, Knight." He pulled out her last name. He was angry too, but at her.

She defended her stance. "He could have stopped this."

"Bull crap and you know it."

"Let's just get this over with." It was only then she realized notification of kin was made without her regular soother. She grabbed a Hershey's bar from the glove box on the way to Hampton's.

The officers who had accompanied Kevin Hampton to the house stood sentinel outside the front door. When Madison and Terry approached, they moved to the driveway.

Madison knocked on the door.

"Ever occur to you he might want some time alone to digest what happened?" Terry asked.

"He didn't stay put long enough for details."

"He was in shock. He wanted to go home."

"But there are questions I'd like answers to if I was him. If it had been someone I loved, I wouldn't leave until I had them."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

The door opened. No one stood behind it. Hampton's back was to them as he walked down a hallway.

"Mr. Hampton." She followed him. "We want to make sure you're okay, or if you want us to wait with you until family arrives. Is there someone you want us to call?"

He stopped walking and spun. "Family?" His voice broke. "Heather was my family."

The way he said it hurt her heart. They had been extremely close. There was no way he could have been involved with her murder. Terry's eyes were on her, but she refused to acknowledge their prodding. The question needed to be asked. "Mr. Hampton—"

"Please, simply Kevin."

"Where were you this morning between five and eight?"

"You're kidding, right?" His eyes sprang to Madison. "I would never do anything to hurt her."

"Do you know anyone who would, anyone who didn't get along with her?" It seemed possible he withheld something. She wished she could wrestle it from him.

"No."

"You were married to Heather. Why didn't she take your last name?"

His facial expression indicated the reason should be obvious. "Professional reasons. Now if you would please leave." He rushed them toward the door and gestured with his hands for them to leave.

She pulled out her card and set it on a hall table. "Anything comes to mind, call me."

He closed the door heavily behind them.

"I don't believe he's involved, but I think he knows something."

Terry nodded.