Chapter 3

Some Months Later

If there was any doubt that the Federov's weren't rich enough, then the strip of land that they owned, over which a few hotels sat, was enough to dispel that. They were wealthy, and proud to show it.

The last few months had been stressful. Having to deal with examinations, her friends discussing their own future, their dream colleges; it had made her lonely and sad. How could she tell her classmates she was going to New York to get married? Instead, she had told them she was here for a Music programme. Music was her dream anyway. And so they believed her and were excited for her. She would return to Tokyo after the year was over to take up Music for real.

Her relationship with her father gradually slid back into normality. It would be futile to continue hating the decision he had made for her – for the Kei-Shiragata – because once in New York without her family, she knew she would miss them too much. She didn't want to dampen what remaining time she had with them. Besides, she wanted to enjoy their last holiday together. She wouldn't be able to see them over the coming year but at least Osuke and Kai would be in New York with her.

Besides the marriage portion of the deal, Kai was to represent the Kei-Shiragata in overseeing certain arrangements. He had chosen Osuke and a few of his other men to come with him. She was glad Osuke had been included. Her boyfriend was doing well in the Kei-Shiragata after all, and it also meant she could still see him.

Standing at the window of her room, she marvelled at the skyscrapers, spread out as far as the eye could see. Then she peered down at the hordes of humans below. So crowded. That was her first thought of the new city she was to live in.

The hotel that they stayed in, the Excelsior, was one owned by the Federov's. It had a grand lobby outfitted in beige marble, chandeliers in every hallway, plush, red carpets that made one feel like they were walking on clouds, and prompt and friendly staff who made her feel at ease in this foreign city. The suite of rooms they were given was even ostentatiously named the Emperor's Suite. It contained four bedrooms, five bathrooms, a vast living and study area, and a fully outfitted kitchen if they decided to have a chef come cook for them.

Unfortunately, she wouldn't be staying here for long. An apartment had been set aside for her and her husband-to-be, and they were expected to move in soon.

~

On their second night in New York, they had dinner with the Federov's. A dress and a pair of shoes had been sent up to her, courtesy of Leonidas Federov, and much to Kai's amusement.

'He'd better be nice to you after the wedding too,' her brother warned.

Hana wholeheartedly agreed.

She was pretty sure her fiance hadn't bought these himself, though she was impressed that they fitted perfectly. Then she remembered how her measurements had been taken by a dressmaker the year before. Of course. Her measurements were floating around somewhere for anyone to access.

Two maids and a makeup artist had been sent up as well to help her prepare, though she would have preferred to do any preparing herself. It was a little too much, in her opinion. She was only going to have dinner with her husband-to-be and her in-law! But if it was his way of trying to impress her, then so be it.

She stepped into the white silk dress she had been gifted. The layers upon layers of gauze flared when she spun, although it went a little too high for her liking. She loved the dress though, along with the silver platform wedges that went with it.

He must be really tall if I have to wear this, she thought, as she placed a shoe beside her foot and gawked at the distance she would ascend once she put it on. Or maybe he's just telling me that I'm short.