Chapter Twenty Two

*Two weeks later*

Daniel's P.O.V.

We are currently having a little problem at the publishing house. There's a story under the category of adventure... And there's one person who thinks it should fall under romance.

It's only Jennifer who is fond of that.

We sit at the hall discussing why it should be changed.

"Why do you think it should be changed?"

No one is talking. Then why did they ask me to come here?

"Who asked that we change it to romance?"

"I did, sir. I think it should fall under romance."

"You think? What is your name again?"

"I'm Chloe Dante, sir."

"And you think the story doesn't fall under it's category. What is your definition for romance?"

"A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic or strangely beautiful."

Looking at her, brings nothing but anger in me. I simply don't like her. It's been two weeks now, and all she does is to remind me of my dead wife!

"Source?"

"What sir? Oh yeah, erm Wikipedia and Thesaurus."

"So what about adventure?"

"An undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks or an exciting or remarkable experience... Source: Merriam-Webster."

"What is the story about?"

"It is a love story. The writer started with the idea of it being adventure but after they met, it became a love story. Love stories are beautiful..."

"What is so different from the definitions you gave? You believe love stories are beautiful. Come to think of it, now that you've explained them both I think the writer's choice is perfect. Love is about taking unknown risks. An exciting or remarkable experience."

"No sir, you are wrong. That is adventure. Love falls under romance."

"Love is an adventure. Period! End of discussion. The author chose the correct category."

Love is all about unknown risks...involving danger. I'm a living testimony of that.

I always thought love was beautiful and fascinating. Jennifer made me believe in love even when I saw it as not to be necessary in a man's life. She made me realize you just have to find the one.

"Sir, I think you should think about this. It is not..."

"What is your problem miss? If you think you can't work here, the door is always open. This should be the last time you challenge me."

She nods and I turn to leave.

****

Chloe's P.O.V.

He's always angry with me. Everybody says I behave like his wife.

I remind him of his wife. How can that be even possible?

I admit I feel something strange when he's always around. I can't explain it but whenever I hear him speak I become more relaxed. My mind used to tell me, we are two different people and we will never be together but my heart speaks a different language.

Now, my mind agrees with my heart. When I first saw him, he was angry with me...but I found him handsome.

I liked him when I first saw him and now it grows each and every day.

The more I try to suppress my feelings, the more it resurfaces. I have spent so many sleepless nights, thinking about him.

Just two weeks. I have known him for just two weeks.

I always feel sad when he shouts at me. Eunice has always been there for me. She's like the elder sister I never had.

****

"Chloe, what's up?"

"The sky," I try to laugh.

"There's something wrong, right?" She quickly question, her voice laced with concern.

"There's always something wrong. That man! I don't understand why he does that to me."

"He thinks you want to take his wife's place."

"What? Hell no! Why would I do such a thing? I agree I like him but..."

"You do? That is great! I'll have to tell Elvis. He would love this," she cheerfully announces, picking up her phone.

What is wrong with me? Why did I say it?

"I mean I like him like I like you."

"Yeah I know. Cut the crap little sissy."

"Fine! I do like him. But he's too obsessed with his dead wife. And besides the way he shouts at me, it's like..."

"He'll come around. You just remind him of his wife. You do remind me of her...always. Maybe he's just scared you'd take her place. I think that is not even necessary. Make your own place when the time comes, do not try to erase the memories he has of her, just make new ones."

I nod at her. That is impossible but I just don't feel like arguing with her.

"Do you want to meet Mia? She's pretty troublesome. Trust me. She bites every nose she sees," she laughs at what she said.

"She must be."

I see a handsome man coming to our table. He smiles at me and I find myself smiling too. I feel like I know him...that's normal. I don't get shocked anymore when these things happen.

"You must be Chloe. You are much more beautiful than she described."

I blush and Eunice chuckles.

"You are late. You are always late."

"I heard my best friend is giving you a hard time at the office."

"Come to think of it. I always provoke him. I do things he doesn't like. And today, I said something he didn't like."

They both laugh. I join them before checking the time.

I explain what happened today and Eunice begins,

"There's a man who had sex with a lady he didn't know. They both didn't know each other. Then it leaked, the girl recorded it for an important reason. Then this man wanted to maintain his public figure so he married her. She loved him so much and he did too but..."

"But he never told her and she left him," I conclude.

"How did you know?"

"I don't know, it's like i have read such a story like that before or someone told me about it before, I just don't remember. And besides you used past tenses. Will she come back? Did she?"

"No, because she died."

That's sad. How can love be so cruel?

"Now, is it romance or adventure?"

What is it? I don't know. This is cruel. Romance is beautiful. But this isn't. And it is not adventure too. I know adventure is not only about being in the jungle looking for lions to see if they'd eat you up the moment they see you.

So what is it then?

****

Most of you don't want to read this book anymore because of the death of Jennifer. But i believe you have read up to this page because you want to know what will happen to them.

Chloe will be great, trust me...keep your comments coming.

Thanks for reading.