41: You and Me

I woke up to the smell of bacon and freshly brewed coffee, making my stomach growl. I open my eyes and check the time. 10:30 am. I get up and walk over to the window and gasped. The view was even better than it was when it was dark out. You can see the beach clearly with its white sand and clear blue ocean. The sun was hitting the water at the perfect angle, making it sparkle as the waves move. Wanting to get out there as soon as I can, I hurriedly gathered my toiletries and dipped into the nearest bathroom to take a shower.

The shower was lavish as well with the water falling from the ceiling. I made sure my shower was quick and made no effort for any prolonged time in there. I dried myself and did my routine lotion lathering and picked out some clothes from my suitcase. My options were large. I wasn't sure what to wear. But after a long time sitting here thinking about it, I decided on a light blue spaghetti strap sun dress and to go with it, Birkenstocks that Adam thought would be necessary to buy. I styled my hair into a half bun with the bottom half sitting loosely on my shoulders.  When I was satisfied with my look, I left my room and head downstairs to where that wonderful smell was coming from.

I walk into the kitchen, but not to find Adam or Vianna for that matter. Instead, I found a short, round lady with dark tan skin, working at the stove, cooking and frying the bacon. When she turns to place the food onto plates, she sees me and gives me a big smile.

"Oh! Bom dia!" She exclaims. But I had no idea on what she said. If she spoke Spanish, then I wouldn't mind. But this woman speaks Portuguese.

I give her a quizzical look, not sure on what to say. "Um...I don't speak Portuguese." I slowly pronounce, in hopes of her being able to understand my English.

She laughs and nods her head. "Oh, so sorry. I forgot you all are Americans. I said good morning."

I give her a shaky laugh. "No worries. And good morning to you too."

"Do you want coffee? And some bacon?" She asks, her heavy accent filtering through.

I sit down at the island and nod my head. "Sure. I could eat."

She pours me a mug of coffee that was ready in the coffee maker, grabs a plate with bacon and toast on it, and walks it over to me with a smile.

"Thank you." I say.

Feeling my stomach growl, I eagerly dive into my food. Sinking ever so slightly from the delight taste of bacon in my mouth. I hadn't realized I was really hungry until a few minutes later, I was already finished with everything on my plate. The only thing left for me to consume was my coffee that I didn't finish. So I drink it slowly, enjoying each sip.

"So...what's your name?" I ask the woman who now turns the stove off and begins to wipe the counters down.

"Aldriana. But you can just call me Alda. What is your name?"

"Elizabeth."

She gives me a genuine smile that reaches up to her dark brown eyes. "That is a lovely name."

"Thank you," I smile back, "I like your name too."

"Thank you. It was my great grandmother's name." She replies.

"Does it mean anything?"

She pauses and thinks about that for a moment until she shakes her head and continues to wipe the counters down. "No, not that I know of at least."

"Oh. Well it is still a beautiful name." I say.

Alda chuckles as she walks over and grabs my empty plate to put it in the sink. "Thank you."