Chapter 28 | A Date With Your Enemy's Boyfriend

Elena's P.O.V.

"What do you mean you want to kill Terry?" Hazel asked as we entered a clothing store, "Who is she and what has she done? If I'm going to help you with whatever you're planning, I would like to know what I'm getting myself into." Her words were a bit too loud, considering that an old lady gave us an agitated look before storming out of the shop.

"It's the older girl in my singing lessons - the one with the black clothes and piercings and stuff," I explained, popping another grape into my mouth. "She is very. . . mean, especially towards our new teacher and Emil."

"Are you talking about that mute guy who plays the guitar and doesn't like applauses?"

"Yes, that is Emil." A smile bathing in esteem displayed on my lips, but it quickly twisted into an apprehension one upon thinking about his silent, jittery behavior. "I think something is troubling him - something awful and. . . severe."

We left the shop to continue our mall trip, but I still caught Hazel's worried eyes, "Do you think it's connected to his home?"

"No, I don't think- or maybe," I shook my head, trying to organize my thoughts. "I don't know. The only thing I'm sure about is that he- is here?"

What?

"What?" Hazel followed my gaze, trying to see what had caught my attention so abruptly.

Outside of the music shop stood a familiar boy with a dark green beanie. His brown, kind eyes were fixated at the instruments modeling behind the glass, and I watched him bury his hands in his gray pants pockets that matched his t-shirt.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear," I muttered under my breath, looking at Hazel before I walked towards the boy. With the fact that something was troubling the boy in mind, I approached him carefully. "Hey, Emil."

Despite my attempt to keep my words soft and light, it still made the dark-haired boy jump. It wasn't before our orbs met that his body finally released the grip of fear.

He smiled and it almost reached his eyes. As usual, he didn't say anything, just nodded and put on a gleam on his face.

The curly-haired girl gave me the elbow, silently telling me to introduce her.

"Emil, I don't think you've met Hazel before," I looked between the two of them, trying to keep everything light in the air. "Hazel, meet my friend Emil - the guy from my music class."

Something changed in the boy's eye. I'm not sure what triggered the little glint in the warm iris. Maybe it was my words? Or perhaps something I could not fathom - at least not at the moment.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Emil." Hazel smiled, holding her hand out for him to shake. "Elena has talked so much about you and your - what did you call it again? Guitar power?"

"Something like that, yes," I confirmed, glancing at the boy who furrowed his eyebrows. Although he was bewildered over Hazel's statement, I still caught the small smile that curled in the corners of his mouth. "So, Emil, what are you up to?"

He shrugged his shoulders and pointed at the music shop he was standing in front of.

"You're looking at instruments," my words were too firm to be a question. "Did you find anything you liked?"

And once again, he nodded without saying a word.

I'm not gonna lie. It's quite difficult to keep a conversation alive with someone who doesn't talk. It's not like I can talk about the weather when I'm empty of topics to use as firewood.