Chapter 1: My Mate

As we park into my family's drive way, I notice Ian fidgeting with distress.

"Babe, is everything okay?" I caress his thigh.

"Just a tad nervous," he admits. He knows everything about my family, so it seems only fitting for him to be anxious. Well, not everything, but the most outrageous thing - that we can shift into wolves.

"Just don't let them see you're blond, that really triggers their werewolf gene."

He looks at me both shocked and confused. "What? How can I not show my hair? You should've told me earlier to bring a hat or -" he stops when he notices me smiling.

We both burst into laughter.

"You..." he messes with my nose, shaking his head. Ian is a really great guy. We met at college and started dating at our second year. We've been inseparable ever since. He's so easygoing and uncomplicated. I always know where I stand with him. We're each other's support system and best friends. I am so lucky to marry my best friend.

I lay a gentle kiss against his lips and we leave our Prius.

As soon as we approach the porch, the door opens and three crazy boys run into me, hugging, tugging, and lifting me! Of course, they're my brothers.

"Hey!" I shout, laughing. "Showing off, huh? Don't let me shift, you know I can eat all three of you for breakfast!"

"Oh, yeah?" Jamie says, amused, tickling me and trying to tackle me down.

That's when Dad comes out of the house. "Chill out you wannabe beasts," he shrugs them off with love in his words, and they back off immediately, still laughing.

"What a pleasant welcome!" I say honestly, walking towards my father. "I haven't realized how badly I've missed you guys until now." Dad meets me half-way and we share a strong, loving hug.

Even though he says nothing, I can feel his eyes piercing through Ian.

"Dad, I'd like you to meet Ian," I say as we part and I motion for him to approach.

"Good morning," Ian holds his hand out. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

My dad shakes hands with him, openly checking him out. I bet he is confused with his gelled hair and perfectly groomed suit styling.

The werewolf men and women are all dark-haired and tan. Most of them have dark eyes, deep brown, and some have green in them, like me. But none of them look like Ian - light tanned with blue eyes and golden hair.

"Where did you find this lady?" he finally speaks.

"Dad!" I shout, shocked at his words. My brothers are dying out of laughter on the other side.

"Oh, chill out, Lily. I'm only messing with you. Come on in!"

"I'm so sorry," I mouth to Ian as our dad gestures us into the house.

* * *

We spent the entire day talking, laughing, and eating. My brothers seem to like Ian a lot. They think he's very fun. I do, too.

My dad, on the other hand, barely spoke a few words to him. I will pin it to him missing me very much, so he is paying me his full attention. Even though deep down I know he is hoping I would find somebody else. From the pack, preferably.