Homecoming | एकम्

~*~

~*~

"British Airways flight number R35, final call for all remaining passengers to go to gate 23." The announcement ringed through the hallways, and it continued to say the same thing in Hindi this time.

Airports were always too noisy for me. People were always in a rush. The ones who came with me on the flight were rushing past me, almost tripping me over or bargaining with the rickshaw drivers. People who were about to take off kept giving tearful goodbyes to their family or speaking so loud on the phone that their eardrums would burst. My sandy-colored sandals kept making a squeaky noise as I headed towards the baggage claim.

After a while, I could locate the blue-colored suitcase with my keychain dangling from the handle. It moved towards me on the baggage carousel. Quickly grabbing the briefcase, I pulled it up and placed it on the luggage trolley. I moved away from the group who were also waiting to pick up their luggage. I rechecked my trolley to ensure I got all of my items.

Returning to India after ten years was like facing a trial, the ones I always represented in Court. I shrugged off my jean jacket, tied it across my waist, and twisted my hair into a bun with two strands falling on both sides. Accustomed to the chilly weather in Boston, I was not ready for the blazing weather of Udaipur. Tank tops and shorts sounded pleasing to me, but the number of perverted looks I would receive from the males made me go with jeans and a shirt, which were not helpful. I pushed my trolley towards the plastic chairs before plopping down on one. An elderly couple next to me was the woman talking on the phone, almost yelling. With the little Hindi, I know I could catch 'sick' 'father' 'quickly.'

Glancing away, I grabbed my phone and searched for the iPhone case inside my purse. Opening it, I found the new sim card tucked inside a holder and the pin next to it. Opening the SIM cardholder on my phone, I took the old SIM card and placed it into the holder and the pin. I took the new SIM card and tried to close the box when the SIM card fell out of my hands.

"Shit!" I cursed, the elderly couple stared at me as if I was crazy, and I gave a nervous smile. I closed the SIM card holder on my phone and the box in my purse. I threw the bag onto the same chair I was sitting in and searched for the SIM card. I kept on cursing myself at how clumsy I had been.

After 15 minutes, I dejectedly made my way towards the cab service office located in the airport. "Hello?" It came out as a question to the man talking on the phone, and he was writing something down, whispering it to himself. He said something in Hindi and then cut the call. As soon as his eyes landed on me, his demeanor changed, leaning more towards me. "What do you want, Miss?" in Hindi.

I decided to pose as a tourist, the slightest hint given it won't take long for the news to spread like wildfire. "Yes, I need a cab to the Udaipur City Palace hotel." He started writing on his pad again. "Yes, Ma'am." He mentioned the price that seemed way more expensive than regular tourists, but I just paid it, needing to go to the palace quickly.