Chapter 29

SIX YEARS BEFORE THE OUTBREAK...

Six-year-old Aaron walked into the library, bandages wrapped around his head and arm. Mrs. Hecox held on to his shoulders as she escorted him into the room. Jonah and Natalya were sprawled out on the floor surrounded by stacks of graphic novels. Both of them glanced up at Aaron.

"Are you okay?" Jonah asked.

Aaron scowled. "Yeah, I'm hunky-dory," he replied sarcastically.

"Okay. Carry on."

Natalya snickered but quickly silenced herself as she, too, became a target of Aaron's scowl.

"What did you little troublemakers do this time?" Mrs. Hecox asked.

"We went to the fishmonger's earlier with Mr. Hecox," Natalya replied. "Jonah wagered that Aaron wouldn't be able to convince the fishmonger to give him a live fish."

Mrs. Hecox raised an eyebrow. "Then?"

"Aaron made it happen by asking for fish and chips. The fish-man laughed and handed him a live cod. We tried going back outside, but Mr. Hecox startled Aaron and the fish when he jumped out of the door like 'Blah! It's me!'"

Both Aaron and Jonah started chuckling. "The fish slapped Aaron in the face with its tail like seven times!" Jonah said.

Mrs. Hecox wasn't amused. "Are you gonna tell me why this poor boy has scrapes on his head and arms yet?"

"Oh yeah," Natalya continued. "Aaron tripped on the pavement and dropped the fish into the Thames."

"Long story short," Jonah took over, "Mr. Hecox put us here as punishment, and Aaron saved a fish from swimming down someone's gullet."

"Don't they chew the fish before swallowing it?" Aaron asked.

"I know, bruv. I was trying to be funny."

"Was Nika with you?" Mrs. Hecox asked.

All of a sudden, a timid, golden-haired little girl slowly appeared from behind a bookcase. "Y-y-yes, miss," she replied sheepishly.

"But look at her," Natalya said. "She didn't mean no harm. She's like a little kitten. I mean, she did try tugging on Aaron's shirt to keep him from acting stupid, but at least she tried to help."

"Don't call Aaron stupid, young lady. That's rude." Mrs. Hecox glanced over toward Nika. "And don't you worry, Nika. I'm not holding any of this against you."

Nika slowly slid back behind the bookcase. "Sorry, miss."

"Nothing to worry about, dear," Mrs. Hecox replied. She then looked down at Aaron. "Aaron, you will have to spend the rest of the afternoon helping Nika with her reading."

Aaron raised a brow. "Why? I thought that was you and Natalya's job."

"Nika could use another friend besides her sister. In fact, you could use another friend, too, lad."

Jonah and Natalya started snickering. "You're making him sound like one of those anoraks who never leave their homes," Jonah said, hiding himself behind a comic book.

"Don't think of this as a punishment," Mrs. Hecox continued. "Think of this as a chance to prove your responsibility and maturity."

"I'm only six," Aaron responded bluntly.

"You're never too young to be a gentleman." Mrs. Hecox started nudging Aaron toward Nika until the two of them were at the same table. She waited as both of them sat down in their chairs and scooted in, both of them uncomfortable.