30 ‖ An Inescapable Fate

"Don't call me that," I respond immediately without any second thoughts

Riri?

That has got to be one of the worst nicknames I have ever gotten in life. It might have even outdone 'duckling' by Dominic.

"Oh right, I forgot. Corey told me not to call you that too, he said you'd hate it," Alaistair says whilst chuckling to himself.

"H-Hold on, how do you even know Corey?" I stutter in confusion.

Corey had never left Arcton and even after our family had to move out of Arcton, he had stopped meeting people to protect us.

"Do you forget that your family is wealthy?" Alaistair questions me in return instead of answering.

I can only blink in disbelief.

Obviously, I did not just forget that. It is all because of Antonio that we got the chance to live such a lifestyle.

However, he is also why my family has to stay hidden now.

"That doesn't answer my question. Corey doesn't just mix around noblemen like you. He prefers keeping to himself. Plus, we live in a small village. I know all his friends," I deflect.

"Well, clearly you're wrong. You don't know all his friends now, do you?" Alaistair responds as a matter of fact.

"Who do you even think you are?" I ask, utterly offended by his remark.

I know my family.

"Like I said, I'm Corey's friend," Alaistair replies smugly, evidently pleased by my annoyance.

"For god's sake, I'm leaving," I snap, my voice laced with frustration.

Here I am, thinking that he is trying to cheer me up but clearly, he has only made me more exasperated.

Striding past him, I head for the glass doors. Despite hearing his footsteps trailing behind me, I refuse to look back and I reach out to push the glass doors, only to wince at the stinging pain in my arm.

Although I barely made a sound, Alaistair must have noticed as he rushes forward to hold the door for me.

"You shouldn't have taken the hit for him," he mutters under his breath and his gaze is fixated on my wound that had already been bandaged.

"It was my job," I answer quietly, stopping in my tracks for a second before walking out of the greenhouse, avoiding his gaze.

"Still, a wound is a wound. It could leave a scar," Alaistair sighs as he continues to follow closely behind.

"As if I don't already have them," I respond coldly, and irritation simmers within.

"Well of course you do, you don't take care of yourself," Alaistair points out as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.