The Roommate's Death

Urban legend #2

There are two college roommates, one who is theatrical and one who is a bookworm. One night, the theatrical one returns home late after performing a play called Oh, Susannah. As she enters her room, she hears the bookworm’s rocking chair squeaking in the corner but can’t make out why because the lights are off. As she puts her stuff away, she hears a voice from the corner of the room singing, “Oh, Susannah, don’t you cry for me” over and over again. She assumes it is her roommate and asks her to stop, then flicks on the lights and sees her roommate’s body in the rocking chair and her head pinned to the wall with a butcher knife. From behind the chair comes maniacal laughter, then a man jumps forward and pins the girl to the wall next to her roommate’s head and starts cutting her, all while continuing the next verse of “Oh, Susannah.” It is later discovered that the man is a butcher who had escaped from the sanitarium in a nearby town.

In another variation, a girl returns home late after going to a party one night. Because she doesn’t want to wake her roommate who has an exam the next day, she doesn’t turn on the lights and quickly slips into bed. When she wakes up the next morning, however, light reveals what she’d missed. Her roommate’s body had been cut open, and a message had been written in blood on the wall: “Aren’t you glad you didn’t turn on the light?”