24. Giving Up Dreams

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

The next morning after getting permission from Mrs Wilson, I visited mom at the hospital. When I entered her room, I found her sitting on the hospital bed with her back leaned against the wall. Dressed in a hospital gown, her face was the slightest of pale, but her bubbly cheeks were as cute as ever. Her silky, dark chocolate brown hair was pulled into a loose bun and her green eyes complimented the smile printed on her face when she met my gaze.

However, I knew something was wrong. I could see it on her expression when I sat down on the chair beside her bed and held her hand.

"Hey, how are you?" She asked, softly.

"I'm okay. And you?" I smiled.

Mom tried to smile. "I'm okay, but I have some bad news."

My smile faded as I couldn't bring myself to prepare for this bad news.

"I lost my job at the cafe," she said, gently.

For a long moment, her unbelievable words echoed in my ears as I sat in silence. It was when she placed her hand over mine, I blinked twice to snap out of my daze.

"I'm really sorry, dear. We don't have much money left and I really don't know what to do. I'm not allowed to leave the hospital for another two days and I don't know how I'm going to find another job in such a short time."

"Mom, hey, don't worry about it. I need you to rest and take a break from this hectic life of yours. I'll find a job and work instead of you," I assured, my heart aching.

"But Elliot, what about school?" She asked, worriedly.

"Don't worry, I'll just drop out," I replied as if the school I had worked so hard to get admission into had no meaning to me.

Nothing else had a meaning to me when it came to mom's safety and happiness.

"What? No!" she protested, rapidly jerking my hand off hers.

I frowned. "It's okay mom,-"

"No, it's not okay. Elliot, that school was your dream," she argued, sternly.

I sighed and took both of her hands in mine before giving them a light squeeze.

"You are my life mom. My whole world. Nothing matters more than your happiness and safety. Nothing. And I'm willing to give up everything for that," I confessed, gazing into her beautiful green eyes. The color I had always wanted. Instead, I got the same eye color as that monster.