VIII.

I stumbled out of the shower, barely drying myself with a worn out rag before putting my clothes on, quickly moving on to my hair and makeup

I looked down and groaned in frustration as my clothes were sticking to my body awkwardly from the moisture on my skin.

I cursed myself for deciding to take a quick nap. And by "quick nap", I meant spending the rest of the afternoon sleeping. Maria was due to arrive in less than three minutes and I looked like a disaster. Hopefully my clothes will dry out before my shift starts.

I knew that I needed the rest. I was mentally checked out after lunch with Maria. I can hardly remember the rest of lunch, let alone crashing on my bed.

I blamed myself for overreacting after seeing the news channel. It was one of my triggers and I should have looked away to distract myself.

I knew Maria had gotten worried. She understood something was wrong and I was worried she would figure it out or meddle.

Maria wasn't stupid and it wasn't like I was hiding it. I smacked my forehead with a hairbrush. Could I be any more obvious? I might as well have a neon sign over my head reading "emotionally unstable".

I had to try my best to dodge her questions. I wasn't the best liar and I was easy to read, especially my facial expression. Hopefully, vague answers and stalling would be my best friends for tonight.

Hearing a knock on the door, I collected my bag and jacket from my bed.

"Coming!" I shouted as I swung my door open to reveal not Maria, but my landlord.

"Mr. Meyers! What are you doing here?" I stuttered nervously as I quickly closed my door and locked it behind me.

Mr. Meyers looked at me with a fake sympathetic smile.

"I wanted to talk to you because payments are due this week. Would you mind if we went inside to discuss this?" Mr. Meyers offered. I felt my tense form relax knowing his intentions.

It's fine, Rosaline. He just wants to collect rent. But I would prefer if we talked out here instead...

"Sorry, Mr. Meyers. I need to go to work, but I already paid rent for the next few weeks. How about I stop by your office later tonight?" I offered reluctantly. "We can discuss this more thoroughly. I don't know if I would be intruding–"

Mr. Meyers' eyes gleamed as he gave me a smile that sent chills down my spine, eyeing my body up and down.

"It will be fine Ms. Sinclair. You may have to owe me a favor though." He teased me.

I let out a fake laugh and nodded quickly in agreement as my phone beeped. I went through my bag and grabbed my phone to see Maria's message telling me she was at the entrance. I thanked whoever was listening.

"I got to go. See you later Mr. Meyers!" I called out as I ran down the steps.

I made it to the entrance and saw a familiar black car parked at the curb. One of the men got out and opened the door, waiting for me to get in. I quickly got in the vehicle, saying a quick thank you.