Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

A V E R Y

I never realized how protective Wade was over his family until he broke down in front of me in the pouring rain.

        With the exception of the time we were locked in a classroom together, he never brought up his past. At the end of the day, it was a touchy subject.

        I didn't want to push him into talking about something if he didn't want to. It would take some time, but he would open up to me when he was ready.

        Sometimes, I caught him zoning out in the middle of class, lost in thought. From the look in his eyes, he was forcing himself to stay silent about how he felt.

        I wanted to help him, but I didn't know how.

        "How have you guys been lately?" I questioned Audrey, pushing the shopping cart.

        That day, their grandpa had to take Charlie to her therapy session. Wade's mom invited him to privately talk together but he tried making up excuses to avoid her.

        He used the excuse that he needed to buy groceries the same day, but he was talked out of it. Somehow, their grandpa persuaded Wade into agreeing to see his mom.

        That's why I offered to take Wade's place to buy groceries. It was the least I could do after they welcomed me into their home for lunch. While I spent time with Audrey, it helped me understand they were doing.

        "It's really quiet at home..." Audrey replied, halfheartedly smiling. Usually, she would ramble on about her DIY projects. The light in her eyes had dimmed out, like her brother's. "No one's been in the mood to talk anymore these past few weeks."

        "Have you guys talked about it together?" I asked, stopping to place a bag of pasta into the cart.

        "Grandpa and Aunt Olive tried talking to us, but they think it's better if Mom explains it herself," Audrey whispered. "I'm scared to bring it up with Wade. He just ignores us when we try to talk about it. He didn't say anything the whole day after you followed him to his spot in Plainview."

        I curiously wondered out loud, "How did you know where we were?"

        Audrey shrugged her shoulders. "Back when Mom left us, we moved to Plainview and... it was always his hideout after a bad day. He never stopped going there after we moved back here in Stewartville. It sort of... stuck with him all these years. Honestly, I don't even blame him for wanting to get away."

        Wade was right; Audrey was becoming more mature for her age. She already had a sense of growing up from the last time I saw her. Hearing her talk about what her family was going through put it more into perspective, though.

        Still, it wasn't hard to notice she was worried from her knitted eyebrows. I was glad that Audrey didn't feel the need to hide her inner emotions around me and how she trusted me enough to say how she felt about everything.

        It wasn't long until she spoke up again, hesitating, "Avery, can I ask you something?"

        "Sure, what is it?" I questioned, preoccupied with the shopping list in my hand.

        Her nervousness was laced in her words. "Is Wade mad? Like... at me and Charlie?"

        I concernedly responded, "No, of course not. Why would you think that?"

        "I don't know... Like maybe he's annoyed we wanna forgive Mom," Audrey answered, her eyes looking at the ground defeatedly.

        "Give him time to process everything, it's a lot to take in for anyone. That's why he's out with your mom today," I gently reminded her. "He only wants the best for you and Charlie, so he's protective over you two. He doesn't want you to get hurt."