~ Chapter One ~

February 29, 2017

Dear Perri,

Hello, how are you? I'm fine. Sorry. I haven't written a letter to anyone since I was a kid, so I have no idea how to start this, lol.

As you know, I've been super busy with all my unpacking. But, I am FINALLY officially moved in to my new apartment! I can't wait for you to come visit!

Anyways, I thought I'd write to you since I know you like this sort of thing. Plus, today is February 29th. So, this letter is even more special being that it's a leap year. Yay!

Oh, and you can even bring Chopper. Darcy is missing her boyfriend. Haha.

I'm free all next month since my job on the outskirt of the city doesn't kick off 'til April 2nd. So, I hope to see you, Wade and Chop soon. *shakes fist* Haha.

Well, I can't think of anything else, so, say hi to your family for me. I love you all. And call me when you get this.

Love and kisses, Madi and Darcy.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Asked the man standing by the entrance of the large, white tent.

Perri folded the letter she'd re-read a thousand times and pocketed it. "Yeah." She tilted her head up to face the man. "As ready as I'll ever be, Gavin."

Grabbing her knapsack as she stood from the bunk, Perri took one last look around the shared accommodation that she'd called home for the past fifteen months. Around twenty single bunk beds were evenly spaced on both side of the tent. Each one was surrounded by possessions and trinkets that belonged to its occupant. But, sadly, some bunks never saw the return of their owner.

Perri wondered if she'd remember them. Their names. Their faces.

Gavin cleared his throat, snapping her out of her thoughts. She shouldered her bag and headed for the exit.

The pair stepped out of the tent and moved toward the vehicle parked in front of the closed gate. They had to cross about one-hundred-meters of barren dirt to reach it.

Most of the other people who lived in the encampment were probably in the mess hall, lining up to collect their dinner.

It was a dark trek to the matte-grey jeep that waited for them. At night everyone knew not to use their flashlights. The light would attract... them.

However, a torch flashed at Perri and Gavin drawing their attention.

A man atop the water tower beside the gate waved to them and they waved back. A solemn gesture. A final goodbye.

The water tower doubled as a watchtower. Every few hours the watchers would switch shifts, but it was imperative that someone was always on the lookout. Tonight would have been Perri's shift.

Even with the reinforced, ten-foot-tall fence that surrounded the camp, it didn't keep them out. More a way of hiding from view, than an actual wall to keep them from getting in. It gave the sense of safety without truly providing it.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Asked a silver haired man as he embraced Perri.

She squeezed him firmly. "I'm sure, Dad."

When they separated she leaned into the open rear door of the jeep to place her bag on the seat.

"Have you got everything? Food? Water? Something to defend yourselves with?" Her father asked.

"Don't worry, Hank. We haven't forgotten anything." Replied Gavin. "I'll make sure she doesn't get us into too much trouble."

A smile tugged at Hank's lips but disappeared. "What about the map?"

"Yes, Dad." Perri sighed. "I have the map."

She met Hank's gaze. Even in the dark his eyes shone. But, it was not glee that made his eyes shimmer, it was the tears glazing them over.

Gavin took this moment of silence to excuse himself from the conversation. He moved to the opposite side of the jeep to toss his duffel bag onto the seat.

Another two people were also getting ready to pile into the jeep to leave the camp. A man and his wife.

As the others shuffled around Perri gave her father one last hug.

"If I don't find her in the city or the other safe zone, I promise I'll come back." She said, and she fought back against the urge to cry. She would be strong. She was strong.

Hank opened his mouth-

"Ready?" Interrupted the man climbing into the driver's seat.

His wife climbed into the front passenger seat. And Gavin too entered the vehicle.

"Yeah." Perri said over her shoulder. There was silence again when she looked back to her father. Neither knew what to say. So, Perri gave Hank a somber smile and a curt nod before she climbed into her seat.

The armed men who stood guard by the gate readied themselves to open it. They looked to the watcher on the water tower for the all clear before unhooking the many locks and bars that kept the gate shut tight.

"Perriwinkle." Hank spoke her name to get her attention.

She looked to him through window.

His lips formed a thin line and he nodded.

Perri mirrored his motion. An unspoken understanding.

The engine of the jeep started up causing the vehicle to tremble. Still Perri couldn't bear to shift her gaze.

Then the gate rolled open, revealing a dirt trail that disappeared into a pine forest. Once they passed the threshold, she knew... she'd never return.