~ Chapter Nineteen ~

"Perri?" A familiar voice called.

"Huh?" Perri was standing in the woods. She recognized it yet, couldn't quite put her finger on where she knew it from.

"You were doing it again." That suave male voice jested playfully.

Perri searched her surroundings for the source, but only found towering trees peering back.

"Doing what?" She was compelled to ask, as if she'd said it before and there was no avoiding it.

"Daydreaming."

Though she couldn't see anyone, the tone of that answer forced an image to come to mind. Not a whole face. But, a smirk. A crooked, familiar grin.

"I was not." She retorted.

"Fine, I won't argue. But, you were off with the fairies, either way."

"Shut up, Wade." As soon as the name escaped her lips she felt her chest tighten and something oily coil itself inside her stomach.

"Wade?!" Perri called with her own voice, her own free will.

The presence was fading. She started into a sprint, hoping to regain it and make it strong again.

She came to a skidding stop beside a tree when a single bark sounded. It was difficult to pinpoint where the bark came from. As if it had come from every direction.

Panting, she listened for more and scanned the scenery carefully.

There!

Her eyes widened when she heard it again. This time the barking dog did not stop.

"Chopper!?" She called.

Perri went to take a step forward but branches, that took the shape of hands, reached forth from the tree behind her and grasped her shoulders—holding her in place.

Writhing to escape, the intermittent barking slowly faded, moving further into the woods.

"Perri?" Another familiar voice called her name, this time it was no more than a whisper, and she stopped squirming.

~~~

"Perri?" Whispered the voice.

Perri opened her eyes to find the boy laying beside her, his eyes fixed on something behind her.

It was Skeet's voice she'd heard as he tried to quietly wake her. Pulling her out of her dream.

His hand was on her shoulder and he was gently tugging on her clothing.

When Skeet noticed that she had woken up, he whispered, "It's morning."

Ignoring the warm body at her back, Perri sat up immediately. Her eyes wide.

She whirled around and leaned across the solder to peek out of the curtain.

Sure enough, the glow of the rising sun was beaming into the cabin.

Perri cursed under her breath. She hadn't meant to fall asleep.

"Is it light out?" The soldier asked softly.

Recoiling away in an instant, Perri made sure to keep herself in front of Skeet.

The soldier scoffed reluctantly. "Well, good morning to you too."

He sat up and pulled the curtain back an inch to peer outside before opening it the rest of the way. There was a moment of hesitation when he went to climb out, a moment where he paused and turned his head as if he were going to say something to them over his shoulder.

But, he didn't.

He waited until he'd gone into the separate section of the cabin before he said, "If I meant to harm you or your boy, I wouldn't have saved you."

Perri climbed into the cabin to join the soldier who peered at her sidelong.

She pressed her lips together and gave him an apologetic look. "I'm sorry." She didn't know what else to say, except maybe, "Thank you for saving us."

The soldier turned to face her properly and the yellow light of the morning sun complimented his features.

His brilliant, blue eyes almost took her breath away when they fixed themselves upon her. She'd forgotten any questions she had for him in an instant.

He gave her a tightlipped smile and a curt nod, before he cleared his throat and fumbled for the door handle.

"Wait here." He said.

The door clicked but he paused before pushing the door open.

"Where are you going?" Perri asked. Wincing at the words that came out sharper than she intended.

"To make sure it's safe for you to come out." He replied.

"What's your name?"

"Why?"

"So, if we're about to be eaten, I know who to call out to." Perri joked, but in a way, she was entirely serious.

The soldier stifled his laugh by clearing his throat. "Jack. My name is Jack. And you are?"

"Perri. And that's Skeet." She gave a pointed nod to the young boy sitting by the back of her seat.

Jack gave Skeet a polite smile, before turning back to the door and saying, "Alrighty. I'll be right back."

After Jack exited the truck, Skeet climbed through to the front of the cabin to sit beside Perri. And they waited.