Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Sage

Sage

Sweat trickles down my forehead and splatters onto my navy blue singlet. I've never been this sweaty, but it's all worth it; or so I keep telling myself. Yesterday was easier because it only involved picking out plants and watching the checkout person gasp at the amount.

Today I curse the stupid sun for being so bright and horrid. I'm learning to appreciate the wonderful perks of a desk job because it involves cold air and minimal body odour. On the bright side, people pay good money to sweat and here I am, earning money while doing it.

The ramp rattles as I push the wheelbarrow up the steep slope. I empty the dead grass into the skip and sigh. There's a small section of shade here, but it's beginning to creep away. Falling from the ramp only works if there's shade to lie in.

"Don't forget to drink water," Austin calls from the comfort of his portable chair tucked under the ample shade cast across the rest of the driveway.

"Okay, thank you." I nod.

I should have gone with the pool. Someone would do it within a week if I paid them enough money. At least I wouldn't have to spend the next couple of days roasting under the sun.

"Would you like me to hose you off?" He smirks.

I remove my gloves and fan my face.

"Um, no, but thanks." It sounds amazing, but no, I wouldn't go there. "Can you help me with the plants? I can't move them by myself."

"No, I'm the supervisor," he sniggers. "Besides, there's another arrival of plants I need to attend to."

"Woo-hoo, more plants." I roll my eyes. "That's just what I need."

"You'd better get back to work since you're on a tight deadline."

"Right, thank you for the reminder."

I dump another load of dead plants into the bin and grin as I walk backwards. The wheelbarrow bounces when the tire hits the pavement and shakes my arms.

"Have you finished clearing the back section yet?"

"Almost! I have a small section left and then I can plant."

"Great work, kid! Keep it up and you'll receive a bonus."

"Thanks." The thought of extra money puts a spring in my step. I need to survive a couple of hours, and then I can take a break and admire my handiwork.

* * * * *

By mid-morning, a majority of the plants have arrived. Bushes of lavender consume most of the yard along with an assortment of hedging plants. There will be a small strip of grass leading from the driveway to the back section, but other than that, it'll be covered in lavender.

Somewhere along the side strip, I will dig a hole for the fishpond. The woman at the fish farm emailed me a lengthy guide on how to install it, and Austin promised to handle rigging it up, which he said would be easy.

I picked things I thought would be nice, only to realise the complications of it, like dragging the lavender bushes around to the back of the house. Not surveying the area properly has jacked up my plans too.

There's a trap door located to the right, which is where I wanted to put the outdoor bed because the neighbouring trees provide shade.

I can hide the door with bushy plants or put the bed on top. If the boss needs to access the door, it would look suspicious moving the bed. Then again, I'm planting a ton of lavenders.