Chapter 3

Standing up to grab Louis's sleeve before he can turn around to leave, I tug him a few steps away from Jefferson, seeking some privacy.  With the false statue of Horus by my side, I look over Louis's shoulder to ensure we are out of earshot of Jefferson and once I am sure he cannot hear a word we say, I turn my attention to Louis who has his arms crossed, looking at me like a child about to throw a temper tantrum. 

"Hear me out before you shoot your mouth," I speak sharply, the words flowing unrehearsed out of my mouth. "Do you want to go to Egypt?"

His Adam's apple bobs in his throat as he swallows nervously, his grey eyes are advert from looking at me when he answers, "Kamilah, you know what happened to me in Egypt the last time..."

"Just a 'yes' or 'no'," I cut him off, gently tilting his chin so he has to meet my gaze, which must be a sight considering I barely reach his shoulder.

Staring at him expectantly, he relents with a heavy sigh. "Okay, okay... yes, I want to go to Egypt."

Beaming widely, I release his chin. "Then why have you been avoiding Mr. Jefferson and warning me about him when you want to go?"

"Can we discuss this later, Kamilah?" He asks nervously, but my pointed stare prompts him to reconsider. "Alright, Egypt still haunts me. Last time, my negligence led to the deaths of two men, a woman, and my best friend. I barely escaped the pyramid alive. I'm scared, Kamilah."

Smiling softly, I take his hands in mine, meeting his gaze. "Louis, it's not your fault. The pyramid was rigged, and you got lost when the floor collapsed..."

"Kamilah, you don't understand," He interrupts, his grip tightening on my hands. "I might be the next one. We should have never tampered with the past in the first place..."

"You don't mean that, Louis," I reply gently, trying to comfort him. "Being overly cautious won't solve anything. Everyone will die someday, but it's what we do with our lives that makes our deaths meaningful. Would you rather die pursuing your passion or regretting missed opportunities?"

After a moment of contemplation, he sighs, "Fine but you're coming with me, I'm sure you don't have any plans and this is your idea. It'll make me feel a whole lot better knowing that the woman who's bringing me to my death is there."

"Oh Louis," I hesitate, prying my hands out of his. "I don't know."

"It'll be an adventure of a lifetime for you," He proclaims. "If anything it'll take you closer to the place where this sarcophagus was found and wouldn't you want to be closer to the homeland of King Khufu?"

"I've never been to an archaeological dig site before," I lie, looking over at the eagerly waiting Jefferson. "I don't know the protocols and I'll probably be more of a nuisance than anything else."

"Nonsense," Louis scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Do you want me to go to Egypt or not?

Rolling my eyes at Louis's dramatics, I relent. He drags me back to Jefferson, informing him that he'll join the expedition only if I accompany him. As Louis explains his condition for joining the expedition, I exchange a glance with Jefferson, silently acknowledging the unexpected turn of events. 

Though undeterred by the addition, Jefferson springs into action to make it happen, citing that as long as Louis is on board he would allow anyone on the expedition. After a few phone calls and sorting out some logistics, Jefferson announces for us to pack a few weeks' worth of clothing and to meet him at the airport tomorrow.

"Tomorrow?" Louis asks looking bewildered, his head tilted to the side as he looks at Jefferson who smiles widely in response. "I have to call my boss to take some time off and it'll be two weeks before I can be off."

"I took the initiative to call the museum director who was more than delighted to let you go off," Peter says casually as he leaves the exhibit. "Eight in the morning sharp. Don't be late. Oh, I almost forgot, Kamilah, was it? As company, you're still required to bring the same things an archaeologist is required to bring so if you could give me your number?"

Before I can take his handphone to put in my number, Louis snatches the phone and hands it back to him with a hard glare to which Jefferson smirks.

"I think I'll send her the requirements of what to pack," Louis growls, emitting an aura of irritation and annoyance towards his ex-colleague. "I was after all once an archaeologist."

Smirking in response, Jefferson takes his leave but before he does, he turns around once more with more news, "Right, I almost forgot to tell you. Doctor Amanda Fuller, Oliver Parks and Jamie Kensington will be coming with us. The addition of Ms Kamilah just saved me the trouble of finding someone to come along with us so that we're an even-numbered group."

Louis is speechless for a while, and I understand why. Doctor Amanda Fuller is one of the top women archaeologists in the world, Oliver Parks holds a reputation as one of the leading researchers in Ancient Egyptian studies, and Jamie Kensington holds a master's in hieroglyphical reading. All of them are renowned figures in archaeology.

After Jefferson's departure, Louis offers to leave early to pack and shop for supplies, even offering to drive me. But for once, I decline, asking him to send me the list instead. After a brief discussion, he sends me the list, leaving me alone in the ancient Egypt exhibit.

Lingering inside, I step towards the glass-encased sarcophagus for the first time since it was moved to Washington, placing my hand on the cold glass, I feel warm salty rivers flow slowly down my cheeks. Memories flood back, transporting me to a time long gone yet vividly etched in my mind. 

If Louis knew even half of what I have been through, he would not have asked me to go to Egypt with him but that being said nobody here knows who I am and where I came from. I made sure of that when I came to Washington all those years ago. Hugging my arms tightly against my body as I step back from the glass casing, I turn around and head out of the exhibit with a newfound resolve to make sure everyone involved in this expedition stays alive.

With one last look at the sarcophagus, I leave the exhibit behind and head for the exit of the museum, knowing in the back of my mind but not acknowledging the fact that I want to return home and this reluctance was just an excuse I was making for myself in order not to feel guilty for all of the sins of my past.