Chapter-3

"Should we go? I'm getting the feeling that Mom is ranting about me to Dad and probably complaining why we aren't back yet", Austen said.

    I giggled imagining Dad's pained face. I walked over to the passenger side and got inside the car. Austen and I drove back home as he inquired about my therapy sessions and school.

       Austen parked the car in our driveway. We got off and I ran to my room to freshen up before dinner. I threw my bag on my bed and went to shower. Turning on the faucet I let the warm water wash away my tiredness. As I cleaned myself I let my thoughts run loose.

     Why did I have to go through this every week? Were my memories so harmful that I had to get them removed? I couldn't even remember at this point why I had to get them removed at all. The doctors said that they were harmful to me. What had happened that I had to forget it all? Everything was hazy and I couldn't remember at all. Even if I tried I would get a severe headache. Not that I should try remembering any of those things. All I could remember was a face and name, a very handsome face, with eyes that looked at me with love. I didn't know to whom that face belonged to, but I felt a pain in my chest whenever I thought about him. I would get mixed feelings when I thought of him, feelings of longing and at the same time of dread. I wanted to meet that person and at the same time stay as far away as possible from him. Dr. Luciana had warned me to not think about this person. According to her I should stay as far away from him as possible. But I couldn't stop thinking about him whenever I was alone.

I heard mom calling me from downstairs which broke my train of thoughts. I quickly washed off the shampoo from my hair. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around myself as I opened my wardrobe and took out my pajama's. After quickly drying my hair I ran downstairs and sat on the table next to dad.

"How did therapy go with Dr. Morneau?" Dad inquired.

"Good, she says that I just need a few more sessions", I answered.

"Good good", he said rubbing my head and smiling cheekily. I slapped his hand off and brushed my hair as he fake cried and complained,"don't break your old man's heart."

    Mom brought our dinner as we made faces at each other. Austen had also come and joined when I and dad were irritating each other. Sometimes we wondered who was the bigger kid, me or dad. No wonder mom always complained about having to raise three kids.

     Our family was one happy group who enjoyed each other's company. Dad was always teasing and mom was always caring. Austen loved me dearly too. We had never seen mom and dad fight. They did quarrel occasionally but they made up quickly. We were like any other normal family down the street. We supported and loved each other dearly. But due to some reason which I couldn't pin point I felt sometimes that they were careful around me. It bothered me and I wanted to ask them. Since last year they were always careful around me. They had always acted normal so that I wouldn't notice but I could feel it. Whatever happened last year had changed us. The one it had affected the most was me. It was the reason why I took therapy. I couldn't remember anything at all now but it still disturbed my family. However I didn't want to worry them, therefore I took the therapy sessions. Even if it meant that I would have to loose my memories worth a year.

"Sabrina help me with the dishes after dinner. You can't run away today', mom ordered.

"Yes mom', I groaned. Not again, she had been pestering me about my chores for a month now. Even dad got off the hook. I really hated doing them.

"Mom, I'd like to help with the dishes. Let Sabrina rest, she has school tomorrow", Austen offered.

"You spoil her too much Austen, she should help you with the dishes-"

"But-"

"No buts, it's final, help your brother with the dishes."

      How could she do this to me, I felt like crying. But I would rather jump off a cliff than argue with her. She could be really scary at times.

       We finished our dinner and I helped Austen clear the table. We washed  the dishes and Austen told me some stories about his college. From his stories I could tell that he really liked his girlfriend, although he was still secretive about it. He was going to bring over a friend on Saturday in his words and wanted me to clear my schedule for Saturday night. Not that I could go out on the weekends. Mom and dad were really strict with me , they never allowed me to go to parties. I think they just wanted to be on the safe side with me after the incident last year.

"Hey Austen", I spoke cautiously.

"Hmm?"he answered absent minded.

"Can you tell me something?"

"If I know about it, I will."

"What happened to me last year?" I asked carefully.

     Austen stiffened and looked at me with worried eyes. Whenever I asked this question mom and dad would give the same reaction. Dr. Luciana had told me that I shouldn't ask about what happened, I was still curious. Why should I forget about it? For what reason did I have to get my memories tampered with?  With each session I remembered less and less about last year's incident. It was really frustrating. Would it all end when I had completely forgotten about it.

"Why do you ask?" Austen asked me carefully.

"Isn't it the reason why you all are careful around me and why I have to go to therapy and get my brain tampered with. I can't even remember why I started going there at this point. Could you help me a little and tell me what happened?"

"Sabrina don't ask me something I can't tell you. It's for your good that you should forget all about it. Go to bed, I'll finish the rest." His statement was final, he wouldn't tell me anything about it. I could do nothing to change his mind.

            Dejected, I went back to my room and flopped on my bed. There was no way Austen would tell me about it. I resigned and gave up on the idea of trying to pry the information out of others. It's for my own good after all, I couldn't actually complain about it.

       Tired at the end of the day, I drifted off into sweet sleep as my eyes drooped and my body relaxed. Since I would eventually forget about  everything, it was convenient if I stayed ignorant about it. Just as I was about to fall asleep I heard a voice. It was from my memory. I didn't know who it belonged to, but it was trying to say something to me. As I lost consciousness I heard clearly what that voice was intending for me to hear, and as it said those words I felt a small ache in my chest. Since I would eventually forget about it in the morning I let the words haunt me with their painful familiarity. Like the words of a lover I heard the sad voice again as it repeated it's words for the last time-

      I wish for us to stay like this forever Sabrina.