Chapter 1

Ch.1

The theater was full to bursting, audience members standing in the aisles and doubling up on seats. The red velvet curtains and drapes were pushed to the eaves, or tied and used as chairs. Several people perched on the balcony edge, their feet dangling above the heads of the ground audience. Those entering late thought of leaving, then decided to stay and peer over the shoulders of those in the doorways.

Pamphlets circulated through the audience. The paper was cheap, the ink smeared and faded in places, yet readable and passable. Notes were scribbled into the margins and reading lights were produced from pockets as the speeches started and the lights dimmed.

The sound system must have worked well ten years ago, but now shorted inconveniently and left the speaker nearly shouting at his or her listeners. Sometimes, this brought fire to their words. Other times, it took away the professionalism and send the crowd home. The sound receivers were built into the edge of the stage and captured sound directed towards them. Minuscule speakers were buried in the floor and chairs and ornately carved pillars.

In the third row, slightly off-center, Artemisia sat erect in her chair, squashed between her friend and a woman she recognized as a professor. She held two pamphlets, one nearly covered in notes and the other beginning its life as a notepad. Every few minutes, she would glance downward and review the notes or printed summaries of the speeches.

Her outward appearance betrayed her inner sentiments. Her name was Artemisia McCourt, and she expected everybody to address her so. Her school uniform was consistently neat and pressed, and up-to-par with dress code. The only deviation were her pockets, stuffed with pens and strips of paper on which were written reminders, names, and details. She had a gentle habit of stroking a piece of her long, straight brown hair when concentrating, twisting it through her fingers while reading or listening or watching.

Her friend nudged her softly as the next speaker took center stage. Magnolia, called Mags by everybody, had been her friend since before she could remember. Every person from Neptune appeared alike, with light brown hair and light blue eyes, yet her father had been from the Moon. Her eyes were brown and large.

In personality, she was the opposite of the Artemisia. People were drawn to her smile, laugh, and all-around good humor. The two made good friends, as Mags loosened Artemisia's rigid control and Artemisia pushed Mags to more serious thinking.

The nudge brought Artemisia away from her thoughts to the man now introducing himself. Her eyes grew wider and she glanced to Mags. "He's in the running for senator," she whispered.

Artemisia nodded. "He's smart. And people like him," she said as he started into a speech about the proper relationship between senators and royalty. It took her a moment to remember his name. "Benjamin Stein," she whispered. "Neptunian."

They listened intently, Mags more to the comments whispered around them, and Artemisia jotting notes without looking at her paper. His speech wasn't anything she hadn't heard before- but he was an opponent. She needed to remember his argument.

He finished and Mags glanced at her watch. "We need to leave," she said, halfway standing.

Artemisia stayed put, barely hearing her as the audience applauded. "They liked him," she said over the noise.

"They'll like you better," said Mags, taking her hand as Artemisia reluctantly stood. People immediately moved into their prime seats as they made their way up the aisle.

"Why are we leaving early?" asked Artemisia as she smoothed her skirt.

"Diamond shower in ten minutes," said Mags as they maneuvered around people in the lobby. "And study group in fifteen. I don't want to take the underground tunnels- too crowded and much longer."