Chapter 4

Ch. 4

Over the next week, Artemisia could think of nothing else but Professor Greenhue's class and everything that went with it. She found herself planning campaign speeches in her head, already establishing her stance on everything from healthcare policy on Ganymede to whether Neptunian royalty should be allowed to govern diamond production.

Her roommate could succeed in bothering her, and they spent less than an hour in each other's company. Her classes started and ended earlier than Rosa's, and royals spent evenings in the company of each other, probably acting as would be expected. Artemisia hated small talk with a burning passion; she was convinced the universe was filled with far too many important things to discuss weather and new dress patterns and how a distant relative was faring at a new sport.

Professor Greenhue was by far the best teacher she'd ever had. He explained concepts smoothly and allowed them time to debate every day. She "smoked" the rest of the trainees, as one of her more friendly classmates told her. It didn't take her long to realize she would not receive the same response if she had an opponent in class with her. They didn't have to compete with her, and she could tell they were grateful. Even Professor Greenhue went so far to say, after one particularly eloquent speech during a debate, that Benjamin Stein should watch his back. Artemisia wore a smile for the better part of the day.

Her nights were spent studying, and calling home. She talked with her mother everyday, though her mother did most of the talking. There was always a lot about how she missed her, but more importantly, her mother gave her information from Neptune. News was tricky on Earth, because it wasn't tailored to any particular Celestial. Minute details from political debates on Neptune were just about forgotten.

Benjamin Stein was building support, but her mother said he polled at twelve percent. Almost sixty percent were still undecided and Artemisia was finally able to pull up statistics in the library. It gave her confidence. She talked to Magnolia only once a week, usually. Her friend was busy and Artemisia couldn't be happier for that.

It was Goji whom she called the least and yet had the most colorful conversations with. He was an avid listener, and filled her in with more details than her mother could supply on social aspects on Neptune. He was studying at the University of Neptune and was well-involved in the politics there.

"Do people talk about Mercury, or Mars?" She asked one day. It struck her that this was important news on Earth and had never been mentioned to her on Mercury.

There was a long pause. "Just news," he said. "No details continue to come in." He paused again, unlike himself. "Nothings happened."

Artemisia studied the carpet, aware he must be thinking about something he didn't want to tell her. "I'll let you go," she said.

He didn't give her any extra time. "Bye, Artemisia," he said, and she heard a click as he ended the call.

She'd been at UAA for a month now, and was beginning to feel lonely at night after dinner and her classes. Studying was barely a release, and she often finished in under an hour- her entire day was studying she now realized. She was becoming so desperate for company she'd considered calling on Daisy several times. She doubted she would make it up to the A-floor before being shut down. Daisy may be the only person from her planet, but she was light years away in status.

The gardens were nice to walk in, but she caught herself bending down to stare at flowers more often than she would like. It wasn't proper for a future senator to be spotted with her head in a patch of flowers breathing in the aromas so rare on Neptune.

Tonight, she sat down next to bonsai trees and admired them, trying to come to terms with it all. Goji had been so short with her. Her mother had chattered on and on with statistics and even she became bored with the updates on her own election. She hadn't talked to Magnolia in days, and probably wouldn't for another week, considering how difficult it was becoming to get a call through.