0.21

0.21 - Thursday 7:39 a.m.

Rhys Wyer

"I asked Beverly if you guys could come tomorrow," Hunter says. I grimace at that name. No one seems to notice except Mav. But these days he notices everything about me.

"You didn't have to do that," Mav says. Hunter shrugs. "What did she say?" His tone is casual, but there's an edge to his voice that gives his curiosity away.

"She said Rhys would have to ask her himself," Hunter says, then glancing to Mav, "and that, these were her exact words, 'Mav can go fuck himself in the mouth, then maybe he'll choke and die'."

"Well," Mav says after clearing his throat, "I guess we're really not going."

"Would you talk with her?" Hunter asks me. My heart beats faster in my chest at the thought of confronting that vile, manipulative little bitch. Helplessness washes over me, and only the gentle look Mav sends my way manages to keep the panic at bay.

"Fuck, no," I say, gaze settling on the ground, "I'm done with her."

But she's not done with you, a snide voice whispers in my head. No, Beverly is definitely not done with me, and as hard as I try not to think about it, something has to give, and soon. The only way this all ends is bad. Maybe that's why I find myself memorizing Mav's face, the feeling of his hands pressing against my stomach, his lips—fuck, his lips—covering mine, rendering me speechless and dizzy within seconds.

I'm stealing as many moments with Maverick as I can before it's too late.

"Good luck with that," Alex says, who I hadn't even realized was standing with us because he was so quiet. He jerks his head towards his right, and when I look over the quad, I see Beverly walking—no, sashaying—towards me.

Mav sees her coming and freezes. Hunter and Alex look at the ground awkwardly.

Beverly reaches me in a few seconds and I have barely any time to steel myself for what she could say. If she even tried to out me right now I'd probably punch her and get suspended, but it'd be so fucking worth it.

"Hey Rhys," Beverly says, her voice cheerful and sickly sweet, and my hands curl at my sides. She tilts her head with a smile.

"Beverly," I say, pushing the name past my lips. I'm holding my breath, and from her smug smile I can tell she knows.

"Can we talk? In private?" Beverly asks. She raises an eyebrow, and I hate her so much. Mav probably expects me to curse her out. But he doesn't know the leverage she has, the position we're in. I have to be careful.

"Sure," I say through gritted teeth. Mav makes a noise of surprise. Hunter's eyebrows shoot up. Alex mutters something about Sarah and walks away.

Beverly turns around and takes a few steps so Mav and Hunter are out of earshot. I follow like I'm walking on thin ice, which I am in a way.

"Tell me what you want, Beverly," I say, already sounding defeated. Beverly raises an eyebrow.

"You're not in much of a position to make demands," Beverly says.

"I can't believe this." I rub my fingers over my eyes, willing this to be a dream.

"Rhys, you need to stop seeing him."

My eyes snap up. "What?"

"Maverick. You can't be with him," Beverly says, her lips twisted in a sad smile, but her eyes flash with hatred.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say, trying to ignore the panic bubbling in my chest, the rushing sound in my ears. Beverly grabs my wrist, holding so tight my skin stings, but I don't dare pull away. I can feel Mav's heated stare on my neck.