Chapter 10

"Run, he's coming." I yelled at my mom as she gripped my hand.

"No, this ends here." Her words were determined. I stared at the fierce warrior as she stood next to me with her silver blade at her side. She was dressed for battle.

My father emerged from the Echo as if he appeared from nowhere. His monstrous creatures climbed out of the barrier after him. They launched themselves towards the other Mal'ak that stood close to us. One of the creatures let out a terrified gasp. The Mal'ak had been prepared for this fight.

I caught a glimpse of Kai as he took down one of the Vorkens.

"Nessa." My father said. "We meet again." For a moment, I thought I had seen a small trace of love written in the depths of his eyes. In the next instance his eyes flashed with hatred.

My mom pushed me behind her as my father walked towards us.

"You can't have her." My mom said.

"I will kill as many as it takes." He whispered, his words deadly.

My father lunged for her, his eyes wild with an angry fire burning for her death. She rose her blade, catching his and pushed him back with her abilities. They swung at each other as their blades clanked, locked in a deadly dance.

I watched, horrified as my parents fought to claim me.

Suddenly my father rippled with darkness, like icy tentacles ready to strike. My mother's soft hue began to glow brighter as she attempted to battle his darkness. Brighter and brighter she glowed but my father's power was much stronger than hers. Slowly he snaked his darkness around her until he snuffed out her light. My mother was frozen in place as his darkness held her, her eyes wide with fear.

"I may not be able to steal a soul completely Nessa, but I can kill you quickly." He said with a smile.

I couldn't stand by and watch my mother die.

I knew what I had to do if I wanted to keep my father from killing her.

"No!" I yelled as I stepped forward. Kai appeared from thin air as he reached out to grab my hand but I drew away from his touch before he could stop me. "I will go with you, just don't hurt her." I pleaded with my father. He flashed me a triumphant smile as he withdrew his darkness. My mom fell to the hard ground and Kai rushed forward to her. Kai looked up at me with tears in his eyes.

"I have to heal her, but she will be okay." He said, his voice filled with relief. I nodded my head at him as I stepped towards my father. "Lee." Kai begged as he remained next to my mother. "You don't have to do this."

Kai Turner knew what I was about to do.

I ignored the warrior as I approached my father. He eyed me like he just won the world's greatest treasure.

"Lee, you can use your powers for good." Kai said, still attempting to reach me. "Don't give yourself over to your father."

My father let out a cruel laugh at Kai's words, giving him a curious glance before shifting his greedy eyes back to me.

"Meleena my dear, our fate has already been sealed. We will make the world great again. Don't you see how important our work is? I will become truly powerful and we will cleanse this world." I paused at his words. I could feel the anger erupting within me and I knew I would never bring him another soul again.

I had to end this.

I glanced back at Kai and my mother. My eyes met Kai's across the great distance that separated us. Nothing would keep me from this fate.