24. Drive

At school, I said hey to everyone I knew. My friends on the track team—not really my friends, but I get along with them. I high-fived random kids in the hallways. My history teacher asked if someone would help her grade test, and I volunteered. I never volunteer for anything. During lunch, I helped the big-boned cafeteria ladies and passed lunch trays. Okay, so I gave some people extra dessert, but my heart was in the right place. I happily went to math class, and that was a first. I was so happy that I made a fool of myself and tried solving math equations on the whiteboard in front of the entire class. I didn't get any problems right, and everyone laughed at me, but who cares.

Who cares.

Today is my last day.

My last Wednesday on planet earth as Anaya Matthews. The truth is, I don't know who I'll be after this. Who this new German-Jewish robot Anaya will be?

Richie never clarified what would happen to us if he failed and we didn't find a cure in time.

Will I turn into a robot mummy? Will number Twelve take over my body, and I'll cause mass destruction on Eugenes?

Will I be like those robots in the movies? Terminator? Those robots wanted to freakn' take over the world and kill people. I've never killed anyone. Tristian may have since she doesn't like cops but not me.

I always planned to go to college and get a cool-ass degree in something I'll never use. Travel and see the world right after. Marry Adonis and have two point five kids. Buy a house we can't afford, stress over a mortgage, family vacations, work a job I'll only like on Fridays because the next day is the weekend. And I'm pissed that I have to let my dreams go because a robot parasite is living on my back—it's not fair!

I didn't even get a chance to live.

I didn't get a chance to explore.

I want a chance.

I want to live an amazing life.

It's not fair.

The bell rings.

I stand in the middle of a busy hallway.

Standing between fluttering teenagers hugging their friends, saying their goodbyes. Principal Haaris is also in the hallway. He's an average-looking man, balding, so he slicks what reddish brown hair he has to the right side of his shiny head to conceal his loss. His dull white suit doesn't fit him. I believe it never did because a man twice Principle Haaris's width should have worn it. He wishes students a happy and safe spring break, singling out every student by first and last name. Bishop rushes and opens doors for them, encouraging everyone to attend Spring Formal tomorrow. He reminds them to dress modestly, men where should tuck their shirts in, and young ladies' dresses shouldn't rise higher than the knees. Tickets are on sale for last-minute buyers also.

"Anaya! Anaya!" It's Adonis. I'm surprised he found me. I've been avoiding him all day. I kept making excuses, and they worked. When I told him I wanted to help the lunch ladies, he was all for me, being a good upstanding citizen. I was clear as long as I gave him and his friend's extra dessert.

But the truth is robots don't get to have boyfriends or happiness.

Adonis jogs to me, smiling because nothing can ruin his day.

He holds my arm, "I finally caught you. I called you three times. Check your phone more often."

My face forms a cheap grin. I nod, apologizing.

He's oblivious. Track and field are on his mind. He's racing this Saturday against one of our rival schools, Garden Hill High, and has started training harder to run his best for us since my injury. I was supposed to dominate those races with him if it weren't for my foot. My broken foot is covered in living Bondite scales.