Chapter 34 Part 2

Every human being has this limited brain cell capacity. Mine are predominantly occupied with studying. But as promised, here's the next chapter💛

Hi!

Chapter 34 Part 2

Infidelity

And as the memory sunk in, I felt my world crashing in on itself again.

What are you going to do now, Scarlett?

Those blue eyes burned my skin like the slow condemning fires of hell finally licking through my form. Where his hand rested on my shoulder felt like little pins that shot poison into my system, inducing my frazzled brain to put those scenes into painful replay.

My own gaze was transfixed on his sat form on the edge of the bed. As if to punish me, my own eyes refused to look away and I was forced to take him in.

Why? Why was it that I'd suffered this intense stare too many times to count that now it suddenly felt different? I'd come to accept Zachary's deep-flowing-river temperament as it had always been. He was just that way, broody and too serious but somewhat in an actually endearing manner. His smiles were few and far in between but something about their rarity made it feel special directed at me.

But now, it was as if his stare meant something different... tainted. And it wasn't too long until realization came crashing down sharply. A direct stab to the chest that suddenly robbed me of breath.

Condemnation.

Like the flick of the switch, I'd scrambled up and backed away from his touch. My back hit the intricately-carved wooden headboard with a slam. I didn't even know how I got into bed. But right then, I had automatically curled my limbs into myself, clutching at the sheets and trying to make myself small.

His blue eyes widened before his brows furrowed. I watched him slowly stand up in confusion. One hand stretching out to me.

It was an instant reaction. I recoiled, a whimper escaping my throat in the process.

"D-don't. Don't come any c-closer."

He froze then, those blue eyes boring into mine. And I realized My whole body was shaking. The worst part being the wetness quickly brimming in my eyes.

Zachary stood there, unmoving, seeming helpless as he complied with my wish.

"Red," he whispered as if not to frighten a wild animal, "what's wrong?"

And maybe that's how I felt about myself. I felt like an animal. An animal for that stupid dirty memory. Guilt was an overpowering emotion, as if coating me in grime with no hope of washing away. It jaded the way I saw everything and just my luck, in the most terrible light.

I sawc the play of emotions on that chiseled face and somehow I couldn't trust what I was seeing. Did he really feel worry, remorse, care... love for someone like me? The idea was incomprehensible to me. Foolishness of the highest degree and I couldn't understand why he would do such a thing.

Two tears slid down and I forced myself to swallow the lump in my throat, "Zachary, are you s-sure there wasn't anybody else?"

It was as if someone had poured a bucket of cold water on him as I watched the words sink in. My eyes didn't miss how his fists clenched. My heartrate picked up at the sight, growing erratic. It was subconscious that I'd scooted even a bit farther from him but in return, Zachary didn't miss the movement.

My words came out hastily, breathlessly, "Zachary, I remember the night of the accident... I was with another man."

I watched, thinking if he grew any stiller, he'd turn into stone.