Chapter 14

6 Days Later

The days are starting to get colder as I watch the wind ruffle the trees. The leaves are starting to tint their red and yellow colors. I look up to see the clouds that are starting to pile in, knowing it's going to rain soon. I snuggle into my orange scarf that Mincy had made me a few years back. The market is full of people bustling around, trying to squeeze into wherever they can. I've been pushed multiple times today, which doesn't surprise me. I'm not one to be noticed.

I finally make it to the apple stand, where I find an older man with a bushy mustache waiting for his customers. Today's his lucky day, because I need a lot of apples. I've oddly had to buy more produce than usual, which usually means the royal family will be having a feast. The feasts usually include a big group of snobbish rich families, and a meal big enough for a small town. They usually have a lot of left overs that they carelessly throw away, which angers me to my core every time I see it. Someone who desperately needs it would've been so happy to have even a bite.

Once I pay for my three bags of apples, I throw myself back into the massive crowd. There usually aren't as many people here, but since it's getting colder, the produce starts to dry up and people want to stock up on the last of the summer foods. As I let the people aggressively push me to the end, I spot a little girl. She has to be no more than eight years of age. Her ripped dress and dirt covered hair tells me that she doesn't have much money. She looks dreamily at the food, as though wishing to try just a taste. I know exactly what that feels like. To starve and have no one even give you a second glance.

I roughly push through the mammoth crowd, eventually stumbling out of the wave of people. She looks a bit startled as she stares at me. I give her a comforting smile, which is repaid with a small one from her. This doesn't last long as a tall, plump, man almost trips over her. He was probably trying to skip the crowd, which is not technically legal. He has on gold and dark purple clothes with different colored jewels on his neck, clothes, and wrists. This man is very wealthy. I've never seen him before. He probably just moved here. His face becomes red with anger as he yells at the fragile girl.

"Hey, move it you worthless piece of trash! Who told you that you could just stand there? You'll contaminate the produce! Who is your guardian?!"

I get up from the dirt floor, and protectively stand next to her.

"I am."

He gives me a look as he scans my attire. "I was keeping an eye on her. She's fine. She will not harm the produce, nor will she harm you."

"You poor people and your nonsense, always making the world a grosser place." His arm raises, as though he is about to harm her.

I assertively say, "Don't you dare touch her." He puts his hands back at his side, and with a groan, he walks away. What on earth is his problem?

"Are you okay?" I ask as I get down on my knees. She nods, looking down at her feet.

"What's your name?"

"Ellie," She says just above a whisper.

"Hello, Ellie! My name is Lily," I stick out my hand and she softly shakes it. I start to reach into my big bag of apples. "Are you hungry?" Ellie looks up at me with a confusion in her eyes, giving me a slow nod. I hand her two of the apples. Her eyes light up like a light and a smile stretches itself across her small face, but she hesitates to take them.

"Are- are you sure?"

"Go for it!" I encourage, the apples waiting for her reach. She slowly grabs them and immediately takes a huge bite, the juice squirting her face. With her mouth full of apple pieces, she exclaims, "Thank you, Lily!"

"No problem! Whenever you see someone in need, do you promise me that if you can help them, you will?" She quickly nods,

"I promise!"

After I give her a good bye hug, I run through the swarm of people. The Queen will for sure hurt me for being incredibly late. But, it was well worth it. I finally get to the end, and rush to the castle. James and Chris quickly open the gates, allowing me to squeeze in. The bags hang heavily on my arms as I run down the halls, which are probably leaving burns on my skin. I dash into the kitchen and drop off the bags.

"Lily! You did you do that all by yourself?"

I huff a maybe, give Vicky a kiss, and grab my cleaning supplies to tidy up the Prince's room and bathroom.

The intoxicating smell of his cologne graces my nostrils, making me miss him even more. Though he's been gone for only six days, I miss him dearly. The castle feels empty without him. After spending some time cleaning his bathroom, I hear a daunting voice coming from his room.

"MAID!"

I immediately drop the dirty toilet brush and race to the room. I find the Queen sitting on his bed with her obnoxiously large gray dress gracefully flowing off the bed because of its size. The color accurately matches her colorless heart, as she has paired it with black jewelry. She stands up straight, towering over me as if I were a small child.

"Maid, I need you to clean all of Fredrick's clothes, dust everything in this room, and clean his sheets, all before her gets back." She commands, her green eyes piercing mine.

"Yes, ma'am."

She has on a sickening victory smile as she knees me in the stomach. The pain courses through my body right away, as I have fresh bruises from yesterday still haunting me. Despite the agonizing pain, I stay firm. I will not give her the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.

"Make sure it shines."

She stalks off, with a belt hiding in her left hand. Why didn't she use it? I then remember that we're in Fredrick's room, so she probably doesn't want blood on his white rug. The moment she leaves, I lift up my dress to check the bruises, which are now leaving sprinkles of blood on my burgundy dress.

I roll my eyes and continue to clean his room with extreme care, making sure that it's spotless, for she's more than likely going to inspect it later on. I look out the tall window to see that the sun is almost completely covered by the storm clouds as it disappears behind the green mountains. The day is almost over, so I need to hurry up and get all my chores done. Before I grab my cleaning supplies and exit the room, I linger in the door way. Even Queen Madia can't take away the smiles that this room gives me.

I hurry to do the rest of the chores, making sure that everything is in perfect condition. Once I finish, I go to the laundry room to pick up a blanket and a pillow that's lost almost all of its stuffing. I tiptoe all the way to the back door, slowly creaking it open to make sure to not wake anyone up. Sure enough, it has started to rain. I listen to the light splashes of each rain drop as they meet the ground. The calming sensation of the rain is one that I will never get over. It soothes me in a way I can not begin to explain. I reach my hand out to touch the rain, which becomes the slightest bit wet by the soft drops. I most desperately want to go all the way into the soothing water, but I must refrain myself. Instead, I put my pillow on the floor and lay down. I'm much used to the cold floor so that doesn't bother me. I sing my song as I fully emerge myself into the blanket. I slowly start to drift off to sleep with the rain trickling in the background.

Author's Note:

Yello Lovelies! I hope y'all enjoyed the chapter! Things are about to get real interesting! :-3 Also, out of the blue question, what is y'all's favorite season? Mine is fall. <3

As always, remember that you are lovely inside and out, and to always show it!

~Love