Chapter 14

"Aria, twist out of my grip like I taught you," Lucian instructs calmly while I struggle in his arms. 

It looked so effortless when he showed me how to do it about twenty times but I can't seem get out of his suffocating hold. 

I wriggle like a worm but his arms don't budge. They are a cage encompassing me in all my thoughts and worries. I know I should be concentrating on our training but all I can think about is Cassandra and her bruises. 

Stela claimed they were harmless but I found that hard to believe. There were too many and they were so big. How can anything claimed to be caused by love look so painful? And it was Lazarus who had caused them. The same Lazarus who had me by the neck because I refused to dance with him. 

I remember the way he whispered in my ears about how he would take pleasure in hurting me and shiver at the thought of Cassandra being alone in a room with him. Why would she choose him as her suitor after seeing how violent he was?

"Hello, Aria are you in there? What are you waiting for?" Lucian loosens his hold around me and when I don't react he releases me and turns me around to face him. "What is up with you today? You've barely paid any attention to me this evening. Are you still angry about last night?"

"No, we're fine," I reply quickly. Instead of continuing our combat session I sink to the floor and get on my knees, ready to do some push ups. At least if I concentrate on the floor I won't have to think about jabs, round kicks, over hands or pressure points. 

I do one and then a few more before I collapse to the floor again. An image of Lazarus hitting Cassandra in the stomach flashes before my eyes and I nearly scream in frustration. 

Why did she choose him? 

My chest burns as I realize I want to help her more than anything but I can't and the helplessness almost paralyzes me with guilt. I roll around and lie on my back only to see Lucian crouching over me. His face remains impassive but I can't help but wonder if there is concern in his eyes or I am seeing things.

"You're still angry with me, aren't you? For last night and this morning. I'm sorry for snapping at you and assaulting you, although I was only aware of one of those things," He gives me a small smile and I sit up to face him so that his face doesn't loom over mine. 

"It's not you. I apologize for being so distracted. You are a very patient teacher," I reply politely. 

"Then what is it? Something is clearly bothering you and it is getting in the way of your training," He frowns at me and slides back until he is resting against the foot of his bed. "Talk to me."

I study him carefully. My eyes follow the sharp outline of his jaw, all the way up to his cold blue eyes and the silver hair that falls over his forehead. He could easily pass off as Lazarus's brother but the similarities end there. 

Unlike Lazarus, Lucian has never once assaulted me consciously. In fact, aside from his snide remark this morning he has been nothing but accommodating and pleasant. He is the first person to ever apologize to me and now he is asking me to talk about my worries instead of beating them out of me.

The only other person who has been nice to me is Cassandra and that is why the thought of her fragile body being beaten makes me sick to my stomach. 

Lucian sits cross legged and waits for me to speak. My heart momentarily softens at the thought of having someone to talk to like this and yet I stare at him warily. My expression is as guarded as the secrets I keep locked in my chest.

Can I trust him?

"It's really nothing. Just girl stuff," I say hoping this will make him lose interest but inside I'm praying that he doesn't because I want him to ask again. I want him to push me until I open up to him. He is the only person who might know Lazarus better than anyone else and he would know what he is doing to Cassandra.