Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter Two

The Duke of Kingfield nodded. "Well, just Addie, are you certain you are alright?"

The honey-sweet words pierced through her defense, and before she knew what she was doing, she admitted, "I am quite fine. And to answer your question, I am a lady's maid. Or at least I was a lady's maid...until today."

The man frowned slightly. "And what circumstance has landed you here instead of there?"

"I did not decide to leave, my lord, but rather I was released," she replied, bristling again at his question. "And while you continue to indicate that you do not approve of where I am currently walking, might I point out that you, too, are wandering about St. Giles at night? What might a duke such as yourself be doing in such a place as this?"

The man's mouth surely did drop open at that before breaking into a broad smile. To Addie's surprise, he threw his head back and laughed, shaking that ridiculously golden hair. "And I do wonder why a maid such as yourself was released from her duties," he thought aloud, adopting a teasing tone.

She cocked her head to the side and said, "I do believe it had something to do with my remarkable diction, my lord, as you put. Or perhaps how I use that diction, to be more precise."

"Yes, I thought perhaps that might have been the case," he said with a smile. "And what do you intend to do now?"

"I am..." Addie was forced to pause. She did not know how to finish that sentence. She sucked in a breath and said, "I am merely walking to the home of a friend." It was the only thing she could think of saying.

"Would you like a ride?" The man's eyes twinkled knowingly.

"I am quite fine with walking, Your Grace," Addie replied succinctly.

His brows rose. "Then do not let me keep you." He gestured to the street before them, offering her a way out of the conversation. But Addie knew if she took one step, she would crumple to the ground. Or at the very least, she would limp awkwardly away.

So she stood there uncomfortably instead.

"I'm going to ask you one last time," the man said slowly, softly. "Are you alright?"

She sighed. "I twisted my ankle, is all," Addie mumbled.

His expression was a mix of sympathy, concern, and amusement as he gazed at her from across the cobblestones. "Please accept my help, then. Unless you are otherwise engaged, I do believe I have a position available at my house that would benefit from a woman such as yourself. And we can fix up that ankle of yours."

He knew perfectly well that she was not otherwise engaged, despite what she had said about going to see a friend.

Addie found herself arching a brow as she studied him, taking in his unusual ensemble. He certainly was not dressed like any dukes she'd known before. Though his Hessians shone in the moonlight beneath the newly acquired dirt, he wore a drab-colored top coat, wool breeches, and a plain-fronted cotton shirt. His muscled form caused the clothes to stretch ever-so-slightly as he took a step closer.

She didn't miss his slight smirk and sly perusal that shamefully made her insides flame. So she responded crisply, "A woman such as myself? You mean because of my remarkably clear diction, Your Grace?"

The duke grinned, but this time with genuine warmth. "Yes, of course," he replied without missing a beat.

Addie hesitated. She did not entirely trust this man with the dangerous smile and odd display of fashion. He also had not answered her when she pointed out that he, too, was roaming in an unsavory neighborhood. But if Addie wanted to remain hidden from the world that knew her as someone else—someone she no longer was—her choices were very slim. In fact, there really were no others.