8. Helpless

You turned around in your sleep, trying to not lose the cool dream you just had and to dream on.
But something was off and kept you from drifting off into your wonderful dream world again.
It smelled different, nasty, like iron and dirt and your hand hurt.
There was something cold around your wrist.

Startled you opened your heavy eyelids and tried to sit up but a sudden wave of pain rushed in your head and made you feel dizzy.
You narrowed your eyes to make the dizzy feeling go away before you opened them again.
It was pitch black around you, you couldn't even see your own hand before your face and something around your left hand stopped you from getting up from the mattress you were sitting on.
Scared you felt for the thing around your wrist.
It was a handcuff. You are handcuffed to something.
Panicking you wildly yanked at the handcuff, trying to get it off.
But it was no use. You just hurt yourself by bruising your wrist even more.

              ------- 1 week ago ------

"Waiter!", someone from the other side of the cafe shouted, holding his hand in the air and waving widely.
Sighing you grabbed your big black wallet from the counter and the sales check, knowing that he probably wanted to pay. As you walked over you heard the bells of the door and from the corner of your eye, you saw a tall man in a long coat entering the cafe. You first mistook him for Sherlock but quickly realized that it wasn't him as the man pulled down the wet hood from his head, ruffling through his messy black hair to get the raindrops out of it.
He flashed you a bright smile as he noticed you staring at him.
Blushing slightly you returned the smile before turning back to the customer, handing him out the sales check.
He tipped you and left the cafe with the women who had set with him on the table.
Swiftly you cleaned the table and brought the two cups back to the kitchen.

While washing the cups, your thoughts drifted off to Sherlock again. You thought about him often but lately he never really got the time to visit you at work. He jumped head over heels from case to case and when he was at your cafe, he barely noticed you, being too caught up in a case he was working on.
Right now he was in Germany, he followed the trace of a "big fish", as Watson called it, and you haven't seen or heard from him for two months.

Hopefully, you checked your phone. Your screen lit up and showed the picture, which Watson did some month ago, of you and Sherlock cuddling. But there was no message from Sherlock.
Sighing again you pushed your phone back in your pocket.
You felt silly. You fell in love with a man who was known for not having any kind of sentimental feelings.
The thought that he probably didn't even care about you as much as you cared for him got stuck in your head and pulled your mood down for weeks.

"Is everything okay?", a deep voice suddenly asked and you flinched.
You looked at the man beside you startled after being pulled out of your thoughts before nodding a few times.
The man was the person you had first mistaken for Sherlock some minutes ago, he smiled warmly at you and had his hands in the pockets of his coat.
Now, fully back, in reality, you noticed that he was standing in the kitchen, the place where no customer should be so you quickly pushed him out.
He looked at you a little confused but chuckled: "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you."
You waved your hand slightly to show him that it's okay, but he just looked at you even more confused.
'I can't talk', you wrote on a side of the little notebook you always had with you and showed it to him.
"Oh! I'm sorry.", the man apologized kindly. "Uhm, I just wanted to get you because some customers have shouted for you and you have been back there for over 20 minutes so..."
Over 20 minutes? You could have sworn that it has only been a couple of minutes. Puzzled you looked at the clock on the wall above you. He was right.
The man laid his hand on your shoulder and bend down to you a little: "Are you sure that everything is alright?"
You slowly nodded your head again, even though you were clearly not okay.
Smiling widely at him you tried to overact the fact how worked out and emotionally drained you were.
Taking a deep breath you walked over to the few customers, taking their orders and collecting the money.