Glossary: British Slang and Rugby Terms

Hi, Readers!

This chapter isn't a real chapter. It's just a glossary you can turn to if you're confused about some of the British slang or rugby terms I use in the story.

You should be able to enjoy this book without knowing anything about rugby—or knowing British slang—but here are a few things it might be helpful to know as you read.

In rugby, players don't get to choose a uniform number just because it's their favorite or has sentimental meaning. Rugby uniform numbers show a player's position (unless he or she comes on as a substitute). So when John tells Gwen that he's number five, he's telling her his position as well as his uniform number. A number 5 is also called a lock or a second row. These players are often the biggest on the pitch and incredibly strong.

Here's some British slang and rugby terms readers might not be familiar with.

Chat someone up: hit on someone.

Chuffed: very pleased.

Chuffing: a mild expletive, like darn.

Chunder: vomit.

Kick the ball into touch: kick the ball out of bounds.

Line-out: a rugby term. After the ball goes into touch (out of bounds), players from both teams form two lines and lift their tallest teammates into the air to try to catch the ball when it is thrown back in. Because it can be very dangerous, players are not allowed to tackle anyone who is lifting a player off the ground.

Off-license: liquor store.

Pitch: sports field.

Ruck: a rugby term. In a ruck, players from both teams try to gain possession of the ball by moving it with their feet to their teammates behind them. There are a lot of rules governing rucks—for example, players have to stay on their feet—but it can look like a chaotic pile of players crashing into each other.

Serviette: napkin.

WAG: wives and girlfriends of professional sports players.

That's it! Hope you enjoy the story!