Chapter 1 [edited]

Rain quietly drummed against the window as the darkening sky crept over the small town of Forks, Washington. Unopened boxes were scattered throughout the newly painted pastel pink room while I sat with my arms around my knees on the window seat. Mesmerized by the incoming storm, I didn't hear the sound of approaching footsteps until a knock on the frame of my door startled me out of my trance.

Mom poked her head through the open doorway, a small apologetic smile tugging on her lips. Her hazel brown eyes peered warily at my face as her left hand tucked loose strands of chestnut hair behind her ear, the braid she quickly fastened hours ago spilling out from the faded green scrunchie.

"Enjoying the view?"

"It's calming." I smiled as I turned my back to the window, my feet dangling above the hardwood floor. "What's up, Mom?"

"I ordered pizza for dinner, it should be here soon. How's the unpacking going?"

"It's a work in progress." I shrugged as Mom sighed sadly, taking a seat next to me. The faint scent of gardenia, bergamot, and amber wafted around us and I took a deep breath in, reveling in the familiar perfume.

"I'm sorry this has been difficult for you, Autumn... Your father and I getting a divorce, us moving across the country. Starting a new school in the middle of the academic year. I just want you to know that I only want what's best for you. And I think this move will be the best thing for both of us."

"I know, Mom." I grabbed her hand and squeezed reassuringly. "I'll be okay. A fresh start at a new school is exactly what I need after what happened with Reed. Plus, I won't be that behind everyone else thanks to the counselor emailing me everything before we moved. I promise I'm not upset about moving here."

"Do you want to talk about what happened with Reed?" Mom asked gently. Instantly, the memory of our break-up flashed through my mind, almost as if a movie began on cue.

The gazebo in the town square was blanketed in white twinkling lights and multicolored confetti, spilling down the steps and into the empty streets. Midnight had come and gone, ending the celebrations of the new year as the clock marched closer to 1 am, then 2 am. The remains of magnificent fireworks scattered the bridge road, waiting to be swept by the town council. The air was filled with a soothing quiet across town; families had headed home, sleeping peacefully as if the looming hangovers would fade in the moonlight.

I sat on a bench in the gazebo, taking in the sight of my hometown when Reed slowly walked over to me. My heart leaped at the sight of him, the same butterflies lingering in my stomach as the first day we met freshman year. His eyes clouded over as he sat beside me, shifting so there was some distance between us.

"We need to talk." He said as he shoved his hands into his coat pockets, his eyes not once meeting mine.

"Okay?" Immediately, my throat went dry as my heartbeat sped up, the sudden burst of anxiety crashing over me setting off sirens in my head.

The atmosphere around us dropped a few more degrees, despite being in the single digits from the light snowstorm rolling in. Reed's harsh tone was a slap to the face, sending me into shock as he spoke at last.

"It's over, Autumn."

Not the same three words spoken only a couple of hours before, when he kissed me under the fireworks...

Time stopped, my heart shattering like glass dropped onto a tile floor.

"What are you talking about?" My voice cracked as tears swelled in the corner of my eyes.

"We're done."

"Reed... please. Don't do this," I begged him. "I want to be with you."